Frequently Asked Questions 

There is a lot to consider when moving to campus, especially for the first time! There is a good chance that you are not alone in your questions or concerns. The Office of Residence Life has compiled a list of frequently asked questions for that very reason. If you have any additional questions or would like more information, please contact the Office of Residence Life and we will be happy to answer them for you. 

Application Process

If you are a full-time (enrolled in at least 12 credit hours), non-exempt student, then you are required to live on campus for two academic years (four semesters, excluding summers). This requirement was put in place by Southeast’s Board of Governors to improve student engagement and retention. On-campus housing provided by the Office of Residence Life is an essential part of the educational experience at Southeast.  

Before signing any off-campus lease, contact the Office of Residence Life to determine your eligibility to live off-campus. 

New student contracts are assigned through two different processes. Students who submit their contract early can self-select, meaning they can pick their room. Those who miss the early deadline will be assigned by the Office of Residence Life. These assignments are based on the date a student’s contract was received (with housing deposit) with consideration of the student’s preferred residence hall and roommate. Students can request a preferred roommate or suitemates through the housing portal.   

The Office of Residence Life receives an influx of contracts (with housing deposit) as the December priority deadline approaches. So, even if you submit your housing contract before the priority deadline, the Office of Residence Life cannot guarantee that you will be assigned your preferred residence hall. The later you submit your Contract for University Housing and housing deposit the less likely you will be to get one of your top residence hall choices.  

There is no deadline for when the contract is due. You cannot be assigned a room until your Contract for University Housing has been received and marked complete. Contract completion does affect the student's ability to self-select rooms and potential roommates.

It depends, your residence hall assignment is based on the date your submitted Housing Contract is marked complete. We will use these dates to allow students to choose their residence hall and room on campus through a room selection process. Once the room selection process closes the office of Residence Life will assign students who have not selected a room or turned in a late contract using the preferences stated on the contract as long as there is still space available. 

If you already know who you want as a roommate you will have the ability to let us know on your housing contract. Your roommate is the person you are sharing a room with. Your suitemates are the individuals you are sharing your suite with. 

There are a few guidelines for roommates:

  • Roommates in special interest housing must also be accepted into the special interest housing community and will only be allowed to select a room on the pre-approved residence hall floor for that specific special interest housing group.
  • If you are in a special interest housing community but want to room with someone who is not you must submit a request to be removed from the community before you can be added.
  • All roommates must be of the same legal sex, and they must be in the system (the only exception to this is the Gender Inclusive special interest housing group)
  • If someone has a room assignment it will block them from being a roommate. They must not have a room assignment for you to select them.
  • The first person in the group allowed to do room selection will do the room selection on the portal and assign both of you. They will also need to add meal plans for both people.
  • If you are not seeing rooms in a building, then there is not one available.


There will be a roommate selection tool available as part of the housing contract. This tool will show you who is the most compatible based on their answers to preference questions.

Students who miss deadlines or do not select a room will be assigned. Roommates are assigned based on the following steps:  

  1. Individuals with medical, psychological, or other special accommodation needs will be assigned 
  1. If you and another student request each other as roommates through a housing contract but don't select a room, we do everything possible to ensure you are placed together. Placement with your requested roommate will always take precedence over room-type requests. 
  2. If you and the roommate decide you want to room together after your room has been assigned both of you will request to be each other's roommate through a room change request.
  3. For students who have not selected a roommate, we use your responses to the questions on the Room and Roommate Preferences Survey. We take this responsibility very seriously and do our best to accommodate student requests.
  4. Data from students at Southeast and other colleges and universities show that roommate assignment, and the relationship between roommates is a high predictor of satisfaction with the collegiate experience. Having a roommate with whom you can develop a positive relationship is integral to your success at Southeast. That’s why we make it a priority to help you get acquainted with your roommate and fellow residents—because we want you to succeed!

If you have any questions about the roommate process, please contact the Office of Residence Life at

Yes, you can check your room assignment on the housing portal. This information is located under your student information on the housing portal.  A confirmation e-mail is sent when the room assignment is made or if there is a change to your assignment. Letters and emails will be sent in July with move-in information as well. The Office of Residence Life must wait until June to make room assignments for students who did not self-select a room or have turned in a contract after self-selection.

If you are experiencing problems or need to reset your seKey, contact the Information Technology Help Desk. 

If you need assistance with your alternative pin (used in class registration), contact your academic advisor. 

Yes, all students living on campus are required to show a record of bacterial meningitis vaccination or a waiver. Students must also be screened for Tuberculosis within their first semester. 


All students living in on-campus housing at a Missouri public institution of higher education are required to be vaccinated against bacterial meningitis or have an exemption for medical or religious reasons (see Missouri Statute 174.335.1). 

  • The Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP) recommends that students receive the vaccine within five years of beginning college. A booster dose will be required for students who received their initial vaccination at or before age 15. Students who receive their first dose of quadrivalent meningococcal conjugate vaccine at or after the age of 16 years do not need a booster dose. To reference this information, please visit the Center for Disease Control (CDC) website. 
  • Vaccination records need to be submitted to the Office of Residence Life before moving into the residence halls. Records can be mailed to the Office of Residence Life, faxed to (573) 651-2557, or emailed to 
  • Medical or religious exemptions must be submitted using the Student Immunization Waiver.
  • Records of the vaccination or exemption must be on file by the first Friday of classes, as required by Missouri state law. Failure to provide them by that date may result in the cancellation of the student’s housing contract, with applicable charges, thereby impacting the student’s ability to live on campus and remain in classes. 

Tuberculosis (TB) Screening 

Missouri Senate Bill 197 requires new students attending any college or university in the State of Missouri to be screened for Tuberculosis (TB).  

  • The screening must follow the CDC protocols that screen individuals based upon their time outside the United States, and their possible exposure to TB, or those who are likely to have come in contact with someone who has TB. 
  • Legislation requires colleges and universities to place a hold on a student’s registration if they do not complete the Tuberculosis screening within their first semester at a Missouri college or University. 

Students may visit the Health Clinic website for more information and to conduct the online screening requirement.

Living in the Residence Halls

The Resident Assistant is a specially selected paraprofessional, and live-in member of the residence hall staff. The Resident Assistant works under the direction of the Area Coordinator/Hall Director in fulfilling a role extending into many aspects of the resident’s well-being. They are responsible for developing a strong community that welcomes and supports students by establishing personal relationships with each student in their community. They become a resource for personal issues and co-curricular opportunities. They are responsible for ensuring that students have access to programs and services designated to support personal and academic success.

The goal for residence life staff is to support and increase student engagement in the university community, which will lead to increased persistence and higher graduation rates. To increase student engagement, residence life staff members assess the needs of their communities and implement strategies and programs to meet their desired outcomes. All communications will be sent to your Southeast email. If you are interested in applying to be an RA please fill out the application.

Applications process for 24/25 Academic Year
  • Informational Meetings- 
    • 11/13/23: 7:30 p.m.-9:30 p.m.- UC Heratige Room
    • 11/30/23: 7:30 p.m.-9:30 p.m.- UC Heratige Room
    • 12/06/23: 7:30 p.m.-9:30 p.m.- UC Heratige Room
    • 01/23/24: 7:30 p.m.-9:30 p.m.- UC Heratige Room
  • Applications available: Monday, December 4, 2023 at 8 a.m.
  • Applications due: Monday, January 26, 2024, by 11:59 p.m. *
  • Interview Sign-up Invitation: Via email link January 29, 2024-February 1, 2024*
  • The first round of Interviews: Wednesday, February 7 - Friday, February 9, 2024 (Zoom)
  • Reference forms are due: Monday, February 14, 2024, by 5 p.m. *
  • Final round interviews: Invitation only based on first-round interviews
    • Presentation Interview instructions will be provided in the email invitation
    • Presentation sign-up closes-  Tuesday, February 20, 2024 at 11:59 p.m.*
    • Presentation-- Thursday, February 29, and Friday, March 1, 2024
  • Decision emails sent out to Southeast email by Spring Break
  • Contract acceptance is due based on the date of the offer

*No late applications, references, or sign-ups will be accepted after these dates. Following the presentation round, candidates will enter a waiting period as the Residence Life staff completes the review process for all applicants. The department will notify candidates of their application status regardless of the outcome through their Southeast email. 

If you have a concern, question, or maintenance request regarding your room contact Facilities Management at (573) 651-2214 or post a work order through Facilities Management. 

For custodial-related questions or concerns in your residence hall contact Facilities Management at (573) 651-2214 and ask to speak with the custodial services supervisor. For more information regarding custodial services on campus, visit the Facilities Management webpage. 

To evaluate how to meet your housing accommodation request, we require specific information from both you and your healthcare provider. This can be done by completing the Special Accommodation Request form. Your healthcare provider must provide us with specific information about your needs and the accommodation that best meets those. The office of Residence Life will partner with Accessibility Services for students needing ADA accommodations.

Here is a list of some of the most common items that students find helpful to have in their room. Before purchasing any shareable items, check with your roommate to avoid bringing duplicate items to campus. This will also save on space!  

What to bring 

Bed and Bath  
  • Bath towels/washcloths   
  • Bedding (sheets, blanket, pillow, and pillowcase) 
  • Decorations  
  • Lamp (non-halogen)   
  • Personal hygiene supplies   
  • Shower caddy  
  • Shower shoes   
  • Trash cans and liners  


  • Laundry basket  
  • Laundry detergent (HE only, no washer sheets)  
  • Iron and ironing board  
  • Hangers 


  • Can opener 
  • Crockpot (one per room) 
  • Dishware/silverware  
  • Snack food  

Appliances and Electronics   

  • Alarm clock  
  • Calculator   
  • Computer   
  • Ethernet cord  
  • Jump drive/memory stick   
  • Microwave (max 800 watts)   
  • Mini-refrigerator (max 3.2 cubic feet)   
  • Cell phone   
  • Printer (wired connection only)  
  • Music player, speaker, DVDs, etc. 
  • Surge protector   
  • Streaming Device (Example: Roku/Firestick)
  • TV (must contain a Clear QAM Digital Tuner)  


  • Cleaning supplies  
  • Cards and games   
  • First aid kit   
  • Sewing repair kit (needle, thread, scissors) 
  • Umbrella and rainboots 

Yes. Students often have questions about what to bring, what kinds of rules are in place, and where to go for help. The Residents' Handbook is a great reference. 

Leave these items at home 

  • Air conditioner or space heaters 
  • Air fryer 
  • Alcohol/drugs 
  • Appliances with an open heating element (toaster, toaster oven, hot plate, George Foreman grills) 
  • A halogen lamp, quartz lamp, or any other lamp (including a desk lamp) with an exposed bulb 
  • Open flame (e.g., candles, incense)  
  • Hazardous chemicals, including flammable liquids 
  • Illegal or unauthorized materials (e.g., alcohol, drugs, fireworks, stolen property) 
  • Pets (except fish) 
  • Toaster oven 
  • Valuable or irreplaceable items  
  • Weapons 
  • Airsoft/pellet/BB/paintball guns 
  • Decorative swords 
  • Firearms 
  • Knives 
  • Wi-Fi routers (will be confiscated) 

Yes, during the first eight weeks of the semester, you can change your meal plan by completing the meal plan change request form. Changes to the meal plan will impact your bill. Changes cannot be made over the phone. 

Not a problem. You will fill out the Special Interest Housing Withdrawal Form. Please pay close attention to the conditions stated on the form that come along with leaving the community. Some Special Interest Housing communities have classes attached to them and leaving the community will affect your schedule.

Housing Cancellation Process

You will need to fill out a Student Residency Release Application to request to live off campus. If you are requesting exemption due to medical reasons you will need to register with Accessability Services and submit the Special Accomodation Request Form.

The Office of Residence Life will review the request, generally in three to five working days. There are three possible outcomes:  

  1. Request does not contain necessary information: Your request will be returned to you, with a letter outlining exactly what additional information is needed. 
  2. The request is approved: You will receive a decision letter indicating the outcome of your request. 
  3. Request is denied: You will receive a decision letter detailing why the request was denied, and how the Office of Residence Life will work with you to meet the concerns you detailed in your request.

Approval depends upon several factors: The established Residence Life policy, the terms of the Contract for University Housing, the previous precedent set for cancellations, and the ability of the Office of Residence Life to make reasonable accommodations for the issues identified in your request. In general, few students are approved for cancellation. The Office of Residence Life works with students to find reasonable compromises to concerns or issues, while trying to help the student complete the legally binding terms. 

Yes. A written appeal can be made to the Office of Residence Life. Students generally wish to appeal for one of three reasons: 

 Reason 1: Error in Original Decision 

  • The student believes the original decision was made due to an error that does not follow the policy/procedure set by the Office of Residence Life. The student should submit the appeal in writing with all supporting documentation and/or information. 
  • The appeal is reviewed by the Associate Director for Business Operations. The decision will be followed by a letter. 

Reason 2: New or Additional Information 

  • The student believes the original decision was made based on incomplete or insufficient information, or new information might change the decision. The student should submit the appeal in writing with all supporting documentation and/or information. 
  • The Associate Director for Business Operations will review the appeal. The decision will be followed by a letter. 

Reason 3: Student Does Not Like Decision 

  • The student does not like the initial decision and wishes to appeal to obtain a different decision. 
  • Appeal considerations are based on the published policy of the office. Requests to have a decision changed based upon a student not agreeing with the outcome must show that either the wrong policy was followed or that some factor was not considered in the original decision.  

Supporting documentation is any written information that supports the request you are making. For medical requests, please complete the  Special Accommodation Request Form. This form helps explain the information needed and the process by which requests are considered. No two requests are the same, so please provide as many details as possible.

A request with incomplete information cannot be properly evaluated, causing potential delays or even a decline of the requested accommodation or cancellation. The student making the request and the healthcare provider are encouraged to submit their request as soon as possible and with any evidence to support the needed accommodation. 

All approved Contract Cancellation requests are charged a minimum $150 cancellation fee except those for graduates or other academic reasons (not including decisions to transfer to another college or university). Any student who is new to the University, meaning both new to living on campus and a newly enrolled student, is charged based on rates listed on the Contract for University Housing. Additional cancellation costs are assessed based on the date of cancellation and the reason for the cancellation. 

Contact the Office of Residence Life immediately if you decide not to cancel your contract. 

You may be exempt from the residency requirement while remaining bound by the legal terms of the Contract for University Housing. For example, if you were 21 by September 1 of this year and signed a Contract for University Housing in April to live on campus, but wish to cancel the housing contract, you are not required to live on campus (by the residency requirement), but you will have to fulfill the terms of the Contract for University Housing. In this example, the student could have moved off campus but chose to sign a legally binding agreement for housing for the full academic year. The student and the Office of Residence Life should work together to find a reasonable compromise to the issues or concerns that prompted the request to move off-campus. 

The residency requirement is University policy that states all full-time students under the age of 21 who are not living at home (or in the University’s approved commuting range) with lineal relatives (parent/s), who are unmarried, not solely responsible for the care of a child, who do not have more than 57 credit hours towards their degree, or who is not a veteran of military service must live on campus.  

The Contract for University Housing is a legally binding agreement between you and the University. It is a legal contract that you have signed that commits you to a full academic year of living on campus. 

Towers Complex 102
Mailing Address

One University Plaza, MS 0055
Cape Girardeau, MO 63701