COVID-19 Information

See the latest updates and information regarding the COVID-19 pandemic at

Student Employment

You may be asking yourself "Why should I work on campus and not in the community?" Working on campus will connect you with a large network of faculty, staff, and students interested in your academic success. Numerous national studies have indicated that working on campus has been linked to higher grades and improved chances of graduating from college. Also, your University employer will put your student needs before their work needs.

To be eligible to participate in the student employment programs at Southeast Missouri State University, students must be enrolled in a degree-seeking program and must be enrolled in a minimum number of hours . High school, provisionally admitted students, Cape College Center students, and students enrolled in the Intensive English Program are not eligible to work on campus. All student workers are limited to working a maximum of 20 hours per week. During summer and breaks, students may be eligible for additional hours, based on the approval of their supervisor. 

The office of Career Services posts available student worker positions on

Additional information concerning student employment can be found in the Student Employment Handbook.

Disclosure of Civil Conviction or Disciplinary Action:

Disclosing a civil conviction or disciplinary action on the Student Employment Work Referral will not automatically prevent employment. Students may be hired, commence employment, and receive payment for work during the review of this information by the University's Coordinator of Student Development and Judicial Affairs.

The Judicial Affairs Coordinator will determine if the disclosed information may affect eligibility to work on campus, location of employment, or attendance at the University. The coordinator will notify all appropriate parties regarding the outcome of this review. For questions regarding this review, contact the Judicial Affairs Office at (573) 651-2264.

Information regarding civil convictions or college discipline is currently collected on the admissions application and will continue to be collected for students applying to the University. However, Southeast must also collect this information when a student seeks employment, in order to have the most current information available.


Phone: (573) 651-2319
Fax: (573) 651-2018
Hours: 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.

Human Resources
Academic Hall, Room 012
One University Plaza, MS3150
Cape Girardeau, MO 63701

There are two types of employment on campus - Federal Work Study and regular student employment. After you find a job, apply, and are offered the position, you will need to complete the New Hire Packet (domestic students).

Federal Work Study:

Federal Work Study (FWS) is a federally funded program established to provide jobs for students who have financial need as demonstrated by their completion of the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Students may be limited in earnings for this program. FWS students are paid through a bi-weekly paycheck, and the money earned is not directly applied to a student's bill at Southeast. While FWS eligibility will show on a student's financial aid award letter, these funds are not issued until they are earned through working.

Students on Federal Work Study have two advantages over our Regular Student Employment students.
  1. When completing the FAFSA for the next academic school year, you can exclude your Federal Work Study earnings - which could help reduce your Expected Family Contribution (EFC)

  2. FWS students are eligible for employment at a few community service based locations, such as Boys & Girls Club

Regular Student Employment:

Even if you are not Federal Work Study eligible, you are still eligible to work on campus! Many departments do not require work study eligibility, so make sure you continue to watch Regular student employees are paid bi-weekly for hours worked, and pay is not directly applied to a student's bill at Southeast.

As an international student, your Visa will only allow you to work on campus. Positions available will be listed through Career Service’s The first step is to apply for an available position. 

After you have been offered a job on campus, make sure you begin completing the International New Hire Packet. Until this is completed, you cannot begin working.

Documents required to work on campus:
  • Passport
  • Visa
  • I-94
  • I-20
  • Social Security Card (the new hire packet gives information on how to obtain this)


Fax: 573.651.2108
Academic Hall Room 012
Office of Human Resources
One University Plaza, MS 3150
Cape Girardeau, Missouri 63701