Live with your pet on campus 

Your dream of bringing your pet to school has come true. Through SEMO’s Pet-Friendly Community, Southeast students can apply to have a pet live with them in the residence hall. The Pet Community will relocate to Towers West and Towers South (Floors 3 and 4). Residents interested in double-occupancy rooms (i.e., rooms with a roommate) can live in Towers West, and those interested in single-occupancy rooms (i.e., rooms without a roommate) can choose to live in Towers South. Only pre-approved pets are allowed on campus in pre-approved halls. Pets are not permitted during the summer semester. 

Approved Animals 

To bring your pet to the pet-friendly community in Towers, you must get prior approval from Office Residence Life. Size restrictions apply, only pets in the following categories will be considered for residence: 

  • Indoor domestic cats – under 40 lbs. 
  • Domestic dogs – under 50 lbs. 
  • Small, caged animals: 
    • Hamsters, gerbils, guinea pigs, etc. 
    • Small cage – cage size approximately 30" x 12" x 12" 
  • Turtles, hermit crabs, lizards, reptiles, etc. 
    • A 29-gallon aquarium or smaller

Application and Documentation 

Your Animal Registration Request form, in the housing contract, will need to be submitted to the Office of Residence Life annually or for each new housing contract period. No new animals will be allowed into the community after the first two weeks of each semester. 

Pet-Friendly Community Procedures

Registration and Cleaning fee 

A non-refundable registration/cleaning fee will be charged to the student's account to be paid with the move-in semester housing cost (annually).  

  • Cats and dogs — $100 fee
  • Other small animals — $50 fee


Animals are not allowed to be brought to campus until they are approved. You must arrive on campus with your pet during the first two weeks of each semester. If your pet does not arrive on campus during that time, then they will not be allowed to move to campus until the following semester. Your pet must remain in your assigned room and is not allowed elsewhere on campus, including other students’ rooms, residential common areas (e.g., lounges), and other areas of the University such as classrooms, academic buildings, administrative buildings, libraries, dining locations, the Student Recreation Center, fountains, etc. However, students can take the animal to a veterinarian, groomer, or trainer, or for outdoor exercise. 

If an animal is brought to campus before it is approved the student's application will be denied. Questions can be directed to the Office of Residence Life at 

Animal Health and Well-Being 

Animals must be well cared for which includes fresh water, food, grooming, flea prevention, odor control (bathing or cleaning), appropriate bedding or housing, documentation of updated shots, and an annual health assessment. Along with the special interest housing questions through the housing contract, the following documentation must be provided:  

  • Proof of ownership, length of time, and age provided by a veterinarian
  • Dogs must be at least one year old and have lived with the student’s family for at least 10 months* 
  • Cats must be at least six months old and have lived with the student’s family for at least three months* 
  • Length of ownership restrictions do not apply to other types of pets; however, veterinary records are required. 
  • Documentation from a licensed veterinarian that the pet is up-to-date on applicable vaccinations and is in good health. Applicable animals must wear a current rabies vaccination tag. For more information on requirements please view the Pet-Friendly community Procedures

*Newly adopted animals from a shelter will not qualify for approval. 

Emotional Support and Service Animals 

The residential experience is an essential part of the Southeast Missouri State University experience. For this reason, the Office of Residence Life works in conjunction with other campus departments to determine the most appropriate housing accommodation for a student. Students requesting special accommodations for medical, psychological, or other physical disability-related conditions are encouraged to register with the Center for Behavioral Health and Accessibility and have to meet the Americans with Disabilities Act and/or Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973. Information provided for consideration is kept confidential and is only used during the evaluation. If you have an emotional support or service animal coming with you to campus, you will need to fill out the Special Accommodation Request Form and submit it to the Office of Residence Life.  The Office of Residence Life will partner with the Center for Behavioral Health and Accessibility so we can make sure we are providing the best accommodations for your ESA/Service Animal and you. Animals brought on campus before accommodation approval could result in the removal of animals and denial of the request. 


Towers Complex 102
Mailing Address

One University Plaza, MS 0055
Cape Girardeau, MO 63701