Federal loans are a type of financial aid that must be repaid. These loans help cover the cost of your education. Information from the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) is used to determine eligibility for federal loans. Students also have the option of private/alternative loans for additional funding; however, this should be used as a last resort.


To be eligible for federal loans, students must be:

  • degree seeking
  • enrolled at least half-time (six hours)
  • meet the requirements for Satisfactory Academic Progress

Borrowing money for college is a serious financial obligation. In addition to the principal borrowed, interest is charged for the use of loan funds. Consider how much you can reasonably afford to repay. The Loan Department encourages students to borrow only what is needed.

Loan Documents

  • Entrance Counseling

    Entrance counseling ensures you understand the terms and conditions of your loan and your rights and responsibilities. SEMO has developed instructions for the process to assist you.

  • Master Promissory Note

    The Master Promissory Note is a legal document in which you promise to repay your loan and any interest and fees to the U.S. Department of Education. It also explains the terms and conditions of your loan. Southeast has developed instructions to assist you.
  • Loan Adjustment Forms

    You can cancel or request an adjustment to your loans. Southeast has forms available to make the request to adjust your financial aid awards. Please select if you need the 23-24 academic year loan adjustment form or the 22-23 academic year loan adjustment form.
Academic Hall 019
Mailing Address
One University Plaza, MS 3740
Cape Girardeau, MO 63701
/ Weekdays: 9 a.m. - 4 p.m.