While you are packing your bags, don't forget to consider your personal finances.
It is important to understand the United States banking system in order to have access to your finances. Southeast Missouri State University does offer some resources for students to assist!
- It is highly recommended that you open a bank account as it can make transferring funds between your home bank account and your new account in the United States easier. We cannot provide any general University bank account details.
- We advise you carry only a small amount of cash with you while traveling to reduce the risk of loss or theft. Though needs vary widely, we suggest that students bring at least $500 in cash to cover meals and other immediate expenses.
- There are much safer options to get more money into the United States when you arrive. These include money order, bank transfer, and ATM withdrawal.
- The University also partners with Flywire for a cost-effective way for international students to wire funds from their home country bank.
- New students are expected to pay their bills on a semester-by-semester basis. Tuition and housing costs are typically due the Friday of the first week of classes. Graduate or exchange students who enroll prior to arrival may be required to pay by an earlier date.
- For a small fee, you may sign up for a payment plan, allowing you to pay your bill in installments.
Student Financial Services
The Student Financial Services office provides assistance with Financial Aid, Student Accounts, and the Cashier's office for paying your tuition. Students only need to contact one office to have their billing and financial aid questions answered.
Every international student and scholar (including F-2 and J-2 dependents) who was here in 2020 is legally required to complete tax forms for each year they were enrolled in the U.S., even if they do not earn U.S.-sourced wages.