Studying abroad is an incredible opportunity, but ultimately, you want to make the best decision for your academic education.
Things to consider before choosing a program
- Consider whether it is an academically appropriate program that includes courses and topics you need to complete your degree.
- Does it offer the ability to substitute courses, major requirements and enrollment for the following semester after you come back to Southeast? You must talk to your advisor to determine.
- Does the program match your language ability? Some programs are available in English.
- Consider your ability to communicate in the country you’d like to visit.
- The length and type of travel required.
- The location by country/city, setting, school size, and community size.
- Personal health considerations: pre-existing health conditions, immunizations, insurance.
- Financial aid and scholarship availability.
The minimum eligibility requirements to study abroad
- Must be in good standing with the University (academic, disciplinary, financial)
- Earn a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.5 before participating in study abroad*
- Successful completion of at least two semesters of college-level coursework before participating in a program
- Obtain transfer credit and/or course pre-approval authorization*
*Check additional GPA requirements from your department/major as well as the program and the school you will choose for studying abroad.
Southeast programs are direct agreements with other universities or organizations.
This program uses an established relationship or agreement through Southeast that exchanges students with another designated college or university. Costs are equal to Southeast tuition and fees. The duration of these is typically a semester or an academic year.
Faculty Taught Short Term Programs
These programs are administered by Southeast. They are taught by Southeast professors who travel with our students. This study abroad option is usually one or two weeks long, but there are some options available that can last up to a month.
Affiliated Programs: Study Abroad
If you can’t find a Southeast program of your interest or major, we offer study abroad programs through affiliated study abroad partners.