You will receive a refund check when an overpayment has been made to your account. This is called a "credit balance" and will show as a negative number on your bill or Account Summary.

Refunds are processed beginning the second week of the semester, and continue weekly.

Refunds If You Have Pending Aid:

If you have "pending aid" on your account, we will not issue a refund check until we receive the money that is pending. Different types of aid will remain pending for different lengths of time. When aid "disburses" (is no longer pending and we have received funds), it pays the charges on your account. If you still have additional aid pending after one type disburses, you may not get a refund until the remaining aid is no longer pending.

Refunds if Loans were borrowed:

Remember, your credit balance may be a result of excess loan funds, that will need to be paid back. Borrow only what you need! If this is the case, you can always return the refund check (or directly deposited funds) and cancel a portion of the loans you borrowed (highly recommended).

Refund Schedule

Refunds are processed within 14 days after a credit balance exists or after the start of the semester, whichever is later. Refunds will continue to be processed on a weekly basis throughout the semester.

Refund checks will be mailed to your permanent address or you can sign up for direct deposit using the Southeast portal. If direct deposit is not on file before a refund is processed, the refund will be mailed as a paper check to the permanent home address on file.

To request Southeast to hold any credit balance to your account or to refund the credit balance complete the refunds form.

Hold Credit Balance or Request Refund

Canceling Your Housing Contract

The Contract for University Housing is a legally binding agreement for the full term of the agreement. Any request to cancel the agreement must meet requirements established by the University, and is subject to review and approval by the University.

  • You must contact the Office of Residence Life prior to moving out of the residence halls
  • A Contract Cancellation Request form must be completed and submitted with all documentation required to verify the stated reason for the request
  • Cancellations are generally only approved in situations where there is a change in your status with the University (i.e. transfer, withdrawal, suspension, marriage, graduation, etc.)

The contract will remain in force and you will continue to be financially obligated for all room and board fees until the date the University agrees to cancel the contract and you officially check out of housing. For additional information regarding cancelling your housing contract; please visit the Office of Residence Life.

Refunding Credit Balance for Housing Cancellations

If you have paid your account in full and the Office of Residence Life subsequently cancels your housing or meal contract, Student Financial Services will refund fees approximately three weeks after the cancellation of the housing agreement. All balances due to the University will be deducted from the amount to be refunded.

A Request for Refund of Credit Balance must be completed by the student to initiate the processing of a refund check.

Appeals for refunds due to exceptional circumstances should be sent in writing to the Office of Residence Life. This appeal must be initiated prior to the beginning of the next academic term (i.e. spring appeals must be filed prior to the start of the summer session).

Academic Hall 019
Mailing Address
One University Plaza, MS 3740
Cape Girardeau, MO 63701
/ Weekdays: 9 a.m. - 4 p.m.