An external scholarship is a scholarship, or money received, from sources other than the federal/state government or Southeast. These can be a great option to help you fund your education debt-free!
There are many websites that offer scholarships. We list some external scholarships within our AcademicWorks scholarship database. To view these, choose “External” from the “Opportunities” drop-down.
Additionally, below are other scholarship search engines to get you started. Some of these sites may provide other financial aid options or solicit business for private loans & other services.
Scholarship Search Engines
- Broke Scholar
- College Board
- College Data
- College Resource Network
- MALDEF.org (DACA eligible)
- Chegg Scholarships
- Sallie Mae Search (undergraduate)
- ImmigrantsRising.org (DACA eligible)
- Sallie Mae Search (graduate)
- Scholarship Central
- Scholarship Portal
Frequently Asked Questions
The scholarship search engines are only a starting point. We suggest you complete your own scholarship search as well. Some places to check are:
- A high school or TRIO counselor
- Foundations, religious or community organizations, local business, or civic groups
- Ethnicity based organizations
- Your employer or your parent's employer
- Organizations related to your field of interest
Overall, yes, as long as you are smart about it. Scams do exist, so just make sure it seems like a credible source. When applying, keep these tips in mind:
- A scholarship should not cost money to apply for or receive.
- Be careful giving too much of your personal identification information when applying.
- Watch for suspicious behavior/wording such as:
- “The scholarship is guaranteed or your money back.”
- “You can’t get this information anywhere else.”
- “I just need your credit card number or bank account number to hold this scholarship.”
Once you have received notice that you will be awarded an external scholarship, you need to let our office know by forwarding a copy of your award notification, even if the funds from the scholarship are being sent directly to you. When we receive notification, the anticipated scholarship will be factored into your overall aid package. However, funds will not be applied to your balance due until the funds are received by Southeast.
Cape Girardeau, MO 63701