Any time a student's cumulative grade point average (GPA) is below 2.0, the student will be placed on academic probation and enrollment will be limited to 12 hours per semester. The student will remain on academic probation and is expected to earn a semester GPA of 2.0 in each subsequent semester until the cumulative GPA is at least 2.0. A student on probation who earns a semester GPA of less than 2.0 will be subject to academic suspension.
Students who are subject to academic suspension will have their records reviewed. All semesters of attendance, including transfer, are used in determining number of terms attended, for purposes of academic suspension review.
The following actions may be taken:
- If the cumulative GPA is at least 1.75 and the student has attended three or fewer terms (exclusive of Southeast dual credit enrollment), the student will be readmitted from academic suspension and expected to have a 2.0 cumulative GPA by the end of the fourth term at Southeast.
- If the cumulative GPA is less than 2.0 and the student has attended four or more terms (exclusive of Southeast dual credit enrollment), the student will be academically suspended.
- If the cumulative GPA is below 1.75, regardless of terms attended, the student will be academically suspended.
A student who has been academically suspended may appeal in writing to the University Academic Appeals Committee. The appeal must be made by the date stated in the student's notification of academic suspension. Notification of academic suspension will be sent to the student's permanent address and/or Southeast email account. Students with an out of country permanent address will have their notification sent to their Southeast email account. Students are obligated to have a current permanent address on file with the Office of the Registrar.
Upon receipt of an appeal of academic suspension, the Committee may take the following actions:
- Specify conditions for the student's readmission from academic suspension
- Confirm the academic suspension of the student
Students academically suspended at the end of a spring semester will not be allowed to enroll until the next spring semester; students academically suspended at the end of a fall semester will not be allowed to enroll until the next summer semester; students academically suspended at the end of a summer semester will not be allowed to enroll until the next spring semester.
Students who have been academically suspended more than once will be academically disqualified from attending the University for at least one semester. They may petition the Committee for readmission to the University after a minimum one-semester absence.
The Committee may take the following actions:
- Specify conditions for the readmission of the student
- Deny readmission of the student to the University
To enroll, students who have been suspended must inform the Office of the Registrar of their intention to return. If you have questions, please contact the Registrar's Office at (573) 651-2250 and email@example.com.
Cape Girardeau, Missouri 63701