The Dean of Students will fund domestic student travel assuming the following requirements are met. Please see the application procedures and funding request form below for further details.
- The Dean of Students does not fund travel requests outside the United States.
- If a student travels without prior approval, then the student will not be subject to reimbursement.
- Student travel funding requests are limited to one per student per academic year unless requests do not exceed the maximum of $250 per student.
- Applications must be received 30-days prior to travel. Incomplete applications will not be reviewed.
- Students who are requesting a cash advance and or advanced funds to pay for conference registrations and/or airline tickets must submit the request at least 60-days in advance.
- Students are expected to solicit funds from his/her department or other campus sources.
- Students who are presenting research at a professional conference/meeting will be given priority. Applicants must show evidence that the travel will support their educational and/or career development.
- A letter of support from the approving faculty or staff member is required which explains the educational/professional benefit of the travel (for the student and/or institution).
- The student traveler has five working days to submit original receipts to their respective department after returning from the trip. Departments must submit completed, accurate expense reports to the Dean of Students Office within 30-days of the last date of travel.
- The student traveler must be enrolled during the semester of travel.
- The student traveler must provide the name and contact information to the Dean of Students office for the sponsoring department.
Submit all the following documentation to Ms. Tammy Underwood, Executive Assistant to the Dean of Students in AC 010:
- Completed Student Professional Development Funding Request
- Signed Student Travel Release Form
- No student travel will be approved without a completed release form.
- Letter of Support/Departmental Letter
- A letter of support from the approving faculty or staff member is required which explains the educational/professional benefit of the travel (for the student and/or institution). It is expected that students will solicit funds from his/her department or other campus sources. The letter should also address other funding requests and the amounts granted. This can be submitted via email.
- Confirmation of acceptance to present at an event if applicable
- Conference schedules needs to be submitted showing a listing of date and time of presentation and/or an e-mail from a conference representative confirming that the student(s) is presenting
Quick Reference Guide for Travel Cost Reimbursement
- Keep the original detailed itinerary/receipt showing names of the passenger and the airline, boarding passes, the amount paid, and the scheduled departure and return dates and times.
- Registration Fees
- Unless prior approval is granted, registration fees will only be reimbursed if the student pays the registration fee in advance and provides a written receipt that indicates the amount paid.
- For overnight stays, students can be reimbursed for lodging expenses up to $100 per day as a portion of their allowable travel funds.
- When sharing the hotel room with another student, ask the hotel to prepare separate receipts. If they will not do this, try to get both names listed on the receipt. When checking out, each traveler should pay for their own share of the room expenses.
- Keep the original detailed receipt showing the name of the traveler, the name and location of the hotel, a daily itemization of charges, and the amount paid.
- Personal Cars
- Travel funds cover gas expenses for personal car use. Gas receipts will be submitted after travel for reimbursement.
- Meals are reimbursed at a per diem rate as determined by the University’s travel guidelines.
- Meals included with registration fees or on the scheduled agenda should not be claimed for reimbursement.
Funding Request Form
To request student professional development funds, the student must complete the Dean of Students Professional Development Request Application and send it to the Dean of Students for approval.