Giving back to our community is a staple of Southeast values. We believe volunteering is one of the best ways to grow your commitment to social justice, empower your community, and do good for those around you. We challenge you to make an impact, and that starts with serving others!
10 Reasons To get involved
- It's good for you. Volunteering provides many rewards to both mental and physical health.
- It saves resources. Volunteering provides valuable community services, so more money can be spent on local improvements.
- Volunteers gain professional experience. You can test out a career.
- It brings people together. You assist in uniting people from diverse backgrounds to work toward a common goal.
- It increases your social and relationship skills. Understanding community needs helps foster empathy and self-efficacy.
- Volunteering strengthens your community. As a volunteer you help support families, youth, improve schools, and beautify the community.
- You learn a lot. Volunteers discover hidden talents that may change your view on your self-worth.
- You get a chance to give back. People like to support community resources they use themselves.
- Volunteering brings fun and fulfillment to your life. Volunteering is a fun and easy way to explore your interests and passions.
- You make a difference. Every person counts!
Southeast Missouri State encourages all students to participate in community service! It’s a great way to help others, meet new friends, and make lasting memories. You can get involved by filling out the Southeast Serves Interest Form so the Southeast Serves office can notify you of upcoming projects on and off campus. After completing any service task, we ask that all volunteers log their hours through the Community Service Log. We want to recognize all the hard work performed by students throughout the academic year!
Some local agencies seek volunteers year-round. Students may contact any of these agencies on their own to ask about long-term opportunities or ways to assist without having to go through the Southeast Serves program.
- Catholic Social Ministry Food Pantry / (573) 335-9347
- Danceabilities School of Dance / (314) 269-3180 / firstname.lastname@example.org
- The People's Shelter / (573) 334-9119 / email@example.com
- Redhawk Food Pantry / (573) 651-2236 / firstname.lastname@example.org
- Safe Harbor Animal Sanctuary / (573) 243-9823
- Safe House for Women Thrift Shop / (573) 335-7746 / email@example.com
- Scott City Nutrition Center / (573) 264-3402 / firstname.lastname@example.org
- Senior Centers
- Cape Girardeau / (573) 335-1352 / email@example.com
- Jackson / (573) 243-4241
- Southeast Missouri Food Bank / (573) 475-7565 / firstname.lastname@example.org
Students can also join organizations with a mission for service. While many student organizations volunteer some time with the community, the groups listed below have registered with the University as a service organization or as a Special Interest group geared towards a specific cause. Please contact each group with any specific questions regarding who they serve, meeting times, and membership requirements.
Sign up for future community service opportunities!
Southeast Serves has many projects happening. Find the option that speaks to you and works with your schedule!
Did you volunteer? Log your hours!
Southeast Missouri State wants to recognize all the hard work performed by our students volunteering and giving back to the community. In order to do that, we need to know about your community service hours!