Moving Option 1: Student is not staying in University Housing for the Summer
Due to precautions being made related to COVID-19, students will only have the option to check out of the residence halls by Express Checkout. A formal “walk-through” appointment with a staff member will not be necessary. Students will be expected to clean their room thoroughly before returning their key(s)/keycard. Your room must be in its original condition or you may be charged for damages/cleaning.
If you are not graduating or moving to summer pre-session housing, you are required to check out of your room within 24 hours after your last exam.
Express Checkout Procedures
- Secure an Express Checkout envelope from your building’s customer service desk.
- In the process of moving all your belongings out of the building, please dispose of all unwanted items and trash in the dumpster (not residence hall trash cans). If you brought a bicycle, please don’t forget it. Items left in rooms or abandoned are either donated or disposed of. Dumpsters are located outside each building. Do not leave unwanted items in hallways, stairwells, bathrooms, study rooms, lawn areas, etc. $25-$300 fee
- Sweep and mop or vacuum your room (including the closet floor), clean out closets and drawers, and remove all decals, posters, tape, glow decorations, etc. from the windows, walls, floors, etc. $35-$100 fee
- Suite-style bath/shower rooms must be cleaned by the residents. $35 minimum fee
- If you rented a MicroFridge: unplug, empty, defrost, clean, and dry the unit. Leave the unit in your room. $25 minimum fee
- Return all beds and room furniture to their original positions. Do not leave beds bunked or lofted. $40 fee
- When leaving, close and lock the windows, shut the blinds, turn off all lights, and lock your door. This will prevent furniture in your room from disappearing when final hall inspections take place. Missing furniture costs vary per item.
- Place your key(s) in the Express Checkout envelope, complete it, sign it, and return it to your building’s customer service desk. Do not leave the envelope and key in your room when you leave. Turning in a key after you have been charged will not remove the charge. $15-$105 fee
- Once your key envelope is returned to the building's customer service desk, the Express Checkout is complete!
It is important you follow the instructions above. We do not want to charge students for failing to take responsibility in properly checking out. Thank you for your cooperation.
Moving Option 2: Student is staying for the Summer
All students who will be staying on campus for the summer session will be required to relocate to the summer school building. Students will be allowed to move into their summer assignments beginning at Noon on Monday, May 16 unless prior approval is given by the Office of Residence Life. All students will be expected to be checked out of their spring housing assignments by 6 p.m. unless prior authorization from Residence Life has been given.
Summer Check-in Procedure
- Check in at the Towers Customer Service Desk beginning at Noon on Monday, May 16, 2022.
- Check the condition of your room versus the condition listed on your Room Condition Report. Note any additions or corrections and inform the hall staff.
- Move your belongings into your summer housing assignment.
- Check out of your spring housing assignment by 6 p.m.
Change Your Address
Do you receive bank, credit card, and/or insurance statements? Maybe you have a subscription service or, your family and friends send you personal letters? If so, contact individuals or organizations who regularly send you mail and change your address with them prior to leaving for the summer. Changing your address with them directly will allow your mail to be sent directly to you instead of having the University forward your mail. This saves time and prevents delayed or misdirected mail. The University will not forward magazines, catalogs, bulk mailings, or any other non-first class mail.
Packages delivered by UPS, FedEx, and other couriers will not be accepted, forwarded or held for pick up; but instead, will be returned to sender. Should any First Class mail be received for you after you check out, it will be forwarded to the permanent address you have listed with the Registrar’s Office. If you want your First Class mail sent to a different address over the summer, be sure to change your mailing address located in the “Personal Information” section in the MySoutheast Portal.