Review the following information to determine your reason for cancellation and potential charges. To cancel your contract, fill out and submit the housing Contract Cancellation form located at the bottom of the page. Students requesting Residency Release will only need to fill out the Residency Release Application because the contract cancellation is part of the release request. 

Two Year Residency Requirement  

The Board of Governors at Southeast Missouri State University requires that all full-time students live on campus for two years (four semesters, excluding summers). Students who are continuing their education with the university and who want to live off-campus must complete a residency release.  If approved then a contract cancelation will be processed for the student if they indicate on the release request that they have one on file and want it to be canceled. 

Cancelation Deadlines and Fees

New/Transfer students only canceling a 24/25 housing contract are charged based on rates listed on the Contract for University Housing* if canceling before moving on to campus. Once you have moved on to campus your status changes to Current student.

  • Thru July 1- $25 cancellation fee- $125 Deposit refund
  • July 2 – July 15- $50 cancellation fee- $100 Deposit refund
  • July 16- August 1- $100 cancellation fee- $50 Deposit refund
  • After August 1- Forfeit Deposit
REsidency RElease before July 1 July 2- AuGust 1 After August 1
No Contract No Charge  No Charge  No Charge 
Completed Contract / Room Selected No Charge  $150 $750

*Due to the FAFSA delay, dates have been adjusted to assist students. 

Current/Returning students only canceling a 24/25 housing contract are charged based on rates listed below if canceling before moving on to campus for Fall 24

  • Thru March 19- No Cancelation fee
  • March 19- May 4- $150 Cancellation fee
  • after May 4- assessed a cancelation fee based on the reason for cancellation (See Chart Below)
Additional cancellation costs may be assessed based on the date of cancellation and the reason for the cancellation after move-in. If you have questions regarding room selection, don't hesitate to get in touch with the Office of Residence Life at

Cancellation Charges

Request reason prior to residence hall move in Prior to Third Friday of Classes  After Third Friday of Classes 
December Graduation  No Charge  No Charge  No Charge 
Greek Village (Must meet eligibility requirements)  No Charge  No Charge  No Charge 
Study Abroad, Student Teaching, or Internship  No Charge  No Charge  No Charge 
Military Commitment  No Charge  No Charge  No Charge 
Meals Only  $25  $25 + Prorated Charges*  $25 + No Refund** 
Medical  $750  $750 + Prorated Charges*  $750 + No Refund** 
Greek Housing Chapter Office (Required live-in)  $150  $150 + Prorated Charges*  $150 + No Refund** 
Marriage/Dependent Child Care  $150  $150 + Prorated Charges*  $150 + No Refund** 
TPS (Temporary Protected Status)  $150  $150 + Pro-Rated Charges*  $150 + No Refund** 
Withdrawal, Transfer, Academic or Administrative Suspension  $150  $150 + Pro-Rated Charges*  $150 + No Refund** 
Residency Requirement Exemption  $750 Buyout Charge  $750 Buyout Charge + Prorated Charges*  $750 Buyout Charge + No Refund** 

* Prorated charges (room and meal) apply to residents who move out before the third Friday of classes. After the third Friday, residents are responsible for the full semester/term charges. 

*** Full charges (room and meal) apply to residents who move out after the third Friday of the semester. Students moving out at the end of the fall semester do not incur any additional room or meal charges for the spring semester. 

Cancellation Documentation

reason requirement documentation
Parenthood  Custodial parent of a dependent child  Copy of applicant's prior year's tax return OR a copy of dependent child's birth certificate. 
Marriage  Married  Copy of marriage license after it has been filed at the courthouse. 
Military Commitment  Call to active duty  A copy of the applicant’s military paperwork showing the date the applicant begins active-duty service. 
Residency Requirement Exemption  Student meets one of the University’s criteria to be exempt from the two-year residency requirement  Submit all parts of the Residency Release Application and indicate which of the University’s residency requirements you meet. For the full list of exemptions visit the On-Campus Housing Requirements page Note: See table above for charges. 
Student Teaching, Study Abroad, or Internship  Activity is outside of commuting distance of campus  Submit documentation noting the location of the school that you will be student teaching at, a copy of the acceptance letter from the school attending overseas or the department hosting the study abroad program, and submit documentation from the department/company hosting the internship. 
Towers Complex 102
Mailing Address

One University Plaza, MS 0055
Cape Girardeau, MO 63701