Any student wishing to declare nursing as a major, whose native language is not English, is required to take the TOEFL iBT. The TOEFL iBT score cannot be more than two years old.
This policy adopts the Missouri State Board of Nursing requirement for foreign-educated registered nurse applications as the basis for department standards. ALL international students are required to demonstrate evidence of English-language proficiency. English proficiency scores used for admission into the university can be used or scores within two years of the admission application.
Minimum scores for admission to the Department of Nursing
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL iBT) with a passing score of 540 on the paper examination or a passing score of 83 and Speaking Score of 26 for the internet-based examination. MyBest™️️ scores are not accepted; OR
- Test of English for International Communication (TOEIC) with a passing score of 725 in the Listening and Reading modules; OR
- International English Language Testing System (IELTS Academic) with an overall passing score in the academic module of 6.5 and the Speaking score of 7
- Applicants are English Exempt if they were educated in
- Canada (except Quebec),
- New Zealand,
- South Africa,
- United Kingdom,
- United States (Puerto Rico)