Public Administration by the Numbers
Successful Outcomes Rate
Students graduating with degrees from the Department of Political Science, Philosophy, and Religion report being employed or furthering their education six months after graduation.
Operations Research Analyst
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics the median annual salary of operations research analysts is $86,200.
Emergency Management Director
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics the mean annual salary for emergency management directors is $84,310.
Human Resources Managers
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics the mean annual salary for human resource managers is $135,630.
Online: Public Administration Degree Map
Explore the courses you'll need to complete your degree
Public Administration Curriculum
The Master of Public Administration degree requires the completion of 36 hours of coursework, consisting of 21 hours of core courses, 12 hours of elective courses, and a 3-credit-hour capstone, internship or thesis. A full-time student can often complete the program in two years, subject to appropriate planning for the internship.
In addition to the criteria established for general admission to graduate studies are the following departmental criteria. Application materials must demonstrate the student’s commitment to a career in governmental or nonprofit organizations.
- An undergraduate GPA of 2.7 on a 4.0 scale
- Two letters of recommendation addressing the student’s potential for a career in public or nonprofit service
- A letter of intent addressing professional goals and objectives. The letter should address what the applicant expects to achieve through graduate level study. The letter should be typed and a maximum of 750 words in length.
GRE, LSAT, or GMAT scores are not required but may be submitted to strengthen application.
- PS502 Fundamentals of Public Administration (3)
- PS505 Organizational Theory and Behavior (3)
- PS518 Public Policy Analysis (3)
- PS545 Research Methods for Public Administrators (3)
- PS603 Public Personnel Administration (3)
- PS615 Government Budgeting Process (3)
- PS655 Federalism, State and Local Government (3)
- PS697 Public Administration Internship (3)
Choose 12 hours from:
- AC548 Government/Not-For-Profit Accounting (3)
- EC525 Public Policy Economics (3)
- PS625 Administrative Law (3)
- PS689 Independent Study in Public Administration (3)
- PS691-696 Topics in Public Administration (3)
- PY571 Behavioral Statistics (3)
- PY650 Organizations as Open Systems (3)
- SC560 Organizational Communication (3)
Choose one with advice of program coordinator
- GR698 Master’s Final Comprehensive Examination (0)
- GR699 Master’s Oral Examination (0)
- The capstone internship (PS 697) involves 120 hours of work with the host organization, and the writing and defense of a scholarly internship paper on the experience.
- Undergraduate students who apply for and meet the eligibility requirements of the Accelerated MPA Program can take as many as four of the 500-level core courses and have them count toward both their undergraduate and MPA degrees.
- The University requires that at least 18 credit hours of the 36- hour program must be at the 600 level.
- Students are also expected to comply with Graduate School general requirements, including continuous enrollment provisions, etc.
Class of ‘18, Master of Public Administration
College of Humanities and Social Sciences
This degree is housed within the College of Humanities and Social Sciences. The College prepares students for lifelong careers. We boast programs that train students in problem-solving, critical thinking, communication, organization, and adaptability. Skills employers value, so we prepare you for basically any career field.
Online Learning at Southeast
When it comes to your success, we do whatever it takes. Online learning at Southeast takes the same reputable college courses taught by Southeast faculty and makes them available anytime, anywhere.
Become a Redhawk.
Do more than dream about the future. Take the first steps to make it all happen.
Getting the Job
Your education is just one piece to launching an extraordinary career. Once you’ve mastered the material, you still have to find the job you want, make the right connections, sell your knowledge and experience—and if all this is giving you anxiety, don’t panic. SEMO’s Career Services office is here to help you with the next step. They’ll provide the expertise and support you need, so you’re landing your dream job in no time.
You can take courses for your MPA as an undergraduate saving you time and money. The courses can count towards both your bachelor’s and master’s degree.