Canvas is Southeast’s new learning management system, implemented campus-wide in spring 2021. We understand you might be on a learning curve, or you might just want to have some resources at hand to help you better understand how to use Canvas. We have compiled a list of frequently asked questions and how-tos directly from Canvas itself so you can make the most of it while running your classes.
To sign in to Canvas, once you have navigated to our Canvas log in page, enter your Southeast email address (email@example.com) and the accompanying password for that account to sign in.
Did you miss a CTL workshop? Do you need screenshots and instructions? Are you looking for an introduction to Canvas? We have you covered.
Listed below are guides for frequently used features in Canvas. Additional resources can be found on the Instructure support page. For issues that can’t be found either on this page or through Instructure, please contact the CTL for assistance.
- How do I change my notification settings?
- How do I update the information in my profile?
- What are user files and how do I access them?
- How do I import content from another Canvas course?
- How do I import a Canvas course export package?
- How do I import content from Moodle into Canvas?
- Adding a Course Image for the dashboard
- Changing your course's Time Zone
- Changing your course's start dates and end dates
- Changing your grade scheme
- Cross-Listing sections of the same course
Navigation and Menus
- How do I navigate a Canvas course?
- How do I reorder and hide Course Navigation links?
- Where is the Course Home Page?
- How do I change the Course Home Page?
- How do I view my courses?
- How do I customize my Courses drop-down menu?
- What are Modules?
- How do I create a new Module?
- How do I add items to a Module?
- How do I expand or collapse Module contents?
- What are the different Assignment types?
- How do I edit Assignment details?
- How do I add or edit points for an Assignment?
- How do I add content to my Assignment?
- How do I restrict online submission file types?
- How do I create a peer review assignment?
- What are Discussions?
- What is the difference between Announcements and Discussions?
- How do I set up a graded Discussion?
- Adding rubrics to graded Discussions
- Using SpeedGrader to grade Discussions
- What are the different types of Quizzes?
- How do I randomize the order of the questions on my quiz?
- What do Quiz results look like in Canvas?
- How do I create a new Quiz with individual Questions?
- How do I create a new Quiz with a Question Bank?
- How do I import Quizzes from QTI packages?
- Assigning extra time/attempts on a Quiz
- Giving extra credit on Quizzes
- Creating question banks in a course
- Importing question banks between Canvas courses
- What do the icons and colors in the Gradebook represent?
- How do I view assignment details in the Gradebook?
- How do I curve Grades in the Gradebook?
- Where can I find the student view of the Gradebook?
- How do I view my students' total grades as a point value instead of a percentage?
- How do I change assignment group weights in the Gradebook?
- How do I bulk download Assignment submissions in Canvas?
- How do I give my students extra credit?
- Exporting grades in the gradebook
- How do I create a Video Quiz? -> How do I link to a Video Quiz?
- How do I grade a Video Quiz?
- Recording videos in Canvas Studio
- Embedding Canvas Studio videos in your course
- How can I post a link to a YouTube video to my course?
- How do I upload videos with the Canvas text editor?
- How do I upload images with the Canvas text editor?