The SEMO Black Faculty and Staff Alliance furthers the success and advancement of black faculty, staff, and students through various initiatives on campus.
The organization was started in the fall of 2016 and was founded to provide a voice for the university's African American faculty and staff. Our goal is to bring together all those who have an active interest in promoting racial equality at Southeast Missouri State University and around the globe.
The BFSA also acts in an advisory capacity to the Office of Institutional Equity and Diversity on issues affecting its members. We encourage networking by fostering a positive social environment and building alliances with other campus organizations. We welcome all those in our campus community who are dedicated to social justice to join our cause through membership.
Events to be announced soon.
The mission of the Black Faculty Staff Alliance at SEMO is to collaborate with the Southeast Missouri State University community to foster positive relationships towards Black and/or African American faculty, staff and graduate or professional students through social involvement, community support, and advocacy. To accomplish our mission the BFSA will work to:
- Raise the awareness of issues/concerns of Black/African American faculty and staff and allies at the University;
- Provide a forum for members of this group and their supporters to meet and discuss on a regular basis topic of mutual interest and concern;
- Provide support in the University’s on-going recruitment and retention of Black/African American faculty/staff and other underrepresented diverse populations; and
- Collaborate with the University leadership, the greater Cape Girardeau community, and the surrounding Bootheel communities and other metropolitan areas to foster positive relationships and serve as a link to SEMO in ways that develop a presence and nurture relationships to enable:
- Community and campus engagement and relationship building
- Civic leadership
- Community service
|Dr. Tamara Zellars Buck||Faculty Chair
Professor and Chair
Department of Mass Media
|Dr. Shonta Smith||Faculty Vice-Chair
Associate Professor, Holmes Program Coordinator, University UI 100 Program Coordinator
Department of Elementary, Early, and Special Education
|WyKeshia Atkins||Staff Chair
Learning Assistance Programs
|Dr. Samantha Washington||Secretary
Department of Communication Disorders