To encourage and assist 200 students who are limited-income, first-generation, and/or students registered with Accessibility Services in completing post-secondary education.
The Student Support Services (SSS) program assists program participants by:
- Serving as advocates for access to higher education
- Providing services to assist individuals in achieving their educational goals
- Facilitating the educational development of participants served
- Promoting a multi-cultural environment to assist participants with diverse backgrounds and learning styles
- Collaborating with institutions, organizations, and communities to promote an environment conducive to the completion of a post-secondary education
Applicants must meet at least one of the following:
- First-generation college student (neither parent has earned a bachelor’s degree)
- Demonstrate economic need (as defined by Federal guidelines)
- Have a documented disability (registered with Accessibility Services)
Successful applicants must demonstrate potential to graduate, as well as complete an application and interview process.
Why join TRIO?
- 200 or more students served each academic year
- Increased retention rate of TRIO/SSS participants
- TRIO/SSS participants are more likely to maintain good academic standing with the university
- Individual and group tutoring
- Assistance from a student support services mentor
- Career planning and counseling
- Support for students with disabilities
- Workshops on academic, personal, and financial literacy
- TRIO networking
- Peer mentorship & internships
- Educational supplies
- Supplemental academic advising and planning
Interested in joining the TRIO/Student Support Services program?
The TRIO/SSS program provides students with individual support and academic guidance, connection to tutorial services and supplemental instruction, assistance with graduate school funding sources, financial aid and scholarship support, and identifying career development and internship opportunities.
Additional Resources and Services
(offered to TRIO/SSS students free of charge)
College Success Seminars
College Success Seminars are sponsored by Academic Support Centers to provide skills and information beneficial to students striving to get the most out of their college experience. The variety of subjects covered throughout the semester are focused on the tools students need to succeed that are not covered in the classroom.
Computer Lab with Free Printing
The TRIO computer lab is located in UC 206 and is equipped with four computers. The lab is open from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday – Friday during the fall and spring semesters and opened on demand during the summer. Printing is free to SSS members.
Supplemental Academic Advising
TRIO/Student Support Services staff work one-on-one with students each semester to review the student's strengths in relation to the courses available within their academic program. This service is offered in addition to the student's Academic Advising to ensure each semester is manageable and makes adequate progress towards the completion of the student's chosen degree
Supplemental Instruction (SI) is provided through Learning Assistance Programs. SI sessions are designed to assist students in increasing their understanding of course lectures, class readings, and mastering course concepts. Sessions are offered in selected courses each fall and spring semesters. SI Leaders provide two to three sessions each week, starting the second week of each semester. SI Leaders work with the faculty to design the sessions around the course syllabus and course content. Sessions are open to all students enrolled in the particular courses connected with Supplemental Instruction.
SSS offers free one-on-one tutoring to SSS participants through University Tutorial Services. An SSS participant seeking tutoring should request a Learning Assistant (Tutor) for their specific course(s) on the LAP Tutorial Database. After the form is completed, the student should receive notification of their request within 24 to 48 hours. All tutoring occurs in the Tutoring Center located in Kent Library 412.