We're more committed than ever to help you navigate college and stay on track to join us next semester! We have a variety of First STEP sessions that help promote your educational, career, professional, and social development while helping you understand your options and resources.
First STEP Schedule
Check-in for First STEP is in the University Center on the corner of Henderson St. and Normal Ave. Sessions take place in the University Center, Academic Hall, Kent Library, and various academic buildings. Parking for the event is available on Henderson St. in a variety of parking lots. Signage will indicate where to park.
|Registration and Morning Pre-Sessions|
|7:45 - 8:55 a.m.||Check-In|
|9:20 a.m.||Academic Advising at Southeast: The Process, the Plan, and Your Southeast Schedule|
|Student Morning Schedule|
|10:20 a.m.||Setting Expectations: College Isn't Like the Movies|
|10:50 a.m.||Paying for College|
|11:20 a.m.||Choose an Option:
|Family and Guest Morning Schedule|
|10:15 a.m.||Providing Support to Your College Student|
|11:10 a.m.||Orientation Leader Panel|
|11:50 a.m.||Lunch together: Students, Family and Guests|
Lunch Presentations for Students, Family and Guests
|12:00 p.m.||Q & A with Student Financial Services (optional)|
|Student Afternoon Schedule|
|12:50 p.m.||Faculty Meetings|
Students will be assigned a group based on declared major, placement data, and other factors and rotate together through afternoon sessions. All students will attend all three sessions:
|Family and Guest Afternoon Schedule|
|1:05 p.m.||Launching Careers|
|1:35 p.m.||Financing a College Education|
|2:10 p.m.||Health and Safety Panel|
|2:50 p.m.||Choose an Option:
|End of Day Sessions|
|As students return from advising or sessions end||Info to Go Fair|
|Q & A with Student Financial Services|
|Q & A with Academic Advising|
|Campus Walking Tours|
|Honors Program Open House|
The First STEP programs are held at the University Center on the corner of Henderson St. and Normal Ave. Please park in the lot on Broadway next to Pagliai's, the lot across from Vandiver Hall on Henderson St., or the visitor lot across from the University Center. A parking permit, along with a schedule of the day's events, will be mailed to you approximately two weeks before your reserved First STEP date. The following address will set your destination to our visitor parking lot: 373 N. Henderson, Cape Girardeau, MO 63701.
Virtual First STEP Orientation
A virtual option for First STEP Orientation is available where you can complete all the same processes from the comfort of your home!
Southeast's fully virtual First STEP option is:
- Completed through our campus learning management system, Canvas
- After completion of pre-advising module and activities, 1:1 virtual or phone advising appointments scheduled with a professional advisor through SupportNET
- The remaining required modules unlock after completion of advising
Your schedule, instructions, and other additional details will be on your timeline after you register.
- First access to the virtual First STEP courses will be shared in mid June for students who register for this session by early June and on a rolling bi-weekly basis after.
- FirstSTEP is an all-day program and you should plan to be on campus until 5 p.m.
- Students cannot complete a tryout, interview, or audition for an academic department, scholarship, or team on the same day as orientation.
- Be on time. Checking in late will delay your enrollment process.
- Display your parking pass as instructed.
- Bring a copy of any college credit that you have already received or are currently enrolled in.
- Virtual Orientation is self-paced, and will take several hours to complete, but can be done over several sittings.
Things to Remember
Make sure your most current and highest test scores are on file with the Office of Admissions. You may wish to bring a copy of your most recent scores in case of any discrepancies.
Check the deadlines for all tuition fees, residence hall room, and meal plan charges, and general fees. They should be paid in full, or you can enroll in the installment payment plan. If the University does not receive payment by the deadline, you risk having your class schedule, residence hall room assignment, and meal plan canceled.
If you achieve at least a 3.75 (on a 4.0 scale) high school cumulative GPA, or have a 3.5 GPA and an ACT score of 27 or higher (or it's equivalent), you are automatically eligible for Southeast's Jane Stephens Honors Program. Information will be provided before your orientation date.
You must submit your Housing Contract (with a $150 deposit) or a request for release from the on-campus residency requirement to the Office of Residence Life.