Emerging Leaders (EL) is a University-sponsored program held in the Spring semester for undergraduate student development. The EL program will refine their leadership abilities and instill commitment in the campus and community.
EL participants grow their interpersonal skills through fun and engaging activities that highlight topics such as identity, diversity, conflict management & decision making, effective communication, and campus leadership & professionalism.
Students participate in weekly two-hour active sessions, attend a free off-campus weekend Retreat, and complete a service project during the annual SE Serves weekend. Sessions are led by upper-class student facilitators who had previously graduated from the EL program (see ELF Team below).
To be eligible to participate in the EL program, a student must:
- Demonstrate interest and potential for leadership positions and service to the University community
- Be enrolled as a Southeast undergraduate student with fewer than 60 credit hours. Exceptions may be made for students with more than 60 credit hours.
- Be in good academic and disciplinary standing with the University
- Complete the Emerging Leaders Application and a group interview -- EL Application due by 5 p.m. Friday, November 12, 2021
Based on applications and group interviews, up to 40 students will be selected to participate in Emerging Leaders each Spring semester.
Participants must make the following commitment to the EL program:
- Participate in each two-hour session held every Wednesday 5:30 p.m. - 7:30 p.m. in the University Center throughout the Spring semester
- Attend a free off-campus weekend Retreat at the end of March
- Complete a service project as part of the University's annual SE Serves weekend in April
2022 Emerging Leaders Facilitator (ELF) Team
- Daniel Frew (lead) – 2021 ELF, 2020 & 2019 FYLP Facilitator, 2019 EL Participant, 2018 FYLP Participant, 2018 Camp Redhawk
- Emily Barkhurst – EL Graduate 2021; FYLP Graduate 2020; Camp Redhawk participant 2020
- Awab Esaid – FYLP Facilitator 2020; EL Graduate 2020
- Jack Graham – EL Graduate 2021; FYLP Graduate 2020
- Jace Lowe – EL Graduate 2021; FYLP Graduate 2020; Camp Redhawk participant 2020
- Sheanique Syms – EL Graduate 2021; FYLP Graduate 2020; Camp Redhawk participant 2020