Emerging Leaders (EL) is a University-sponsored program for first- and second-year students. EL develops leaders by refining their leadership abilities and instilling in them a commitment to the campus and community.
Participants will grow their interpersonal skills through fun and engaging activities that highlight topics such as identity, diversity, conflict management and decision making, effective communication, and campus leadership and professionalism.
EL participants attend weekly two-hour sessions throughout the spring semester, attend a free off-campus weekend retreat, and participate in a service project during the annual SE Serves weekend. Sessions are led by upper-class student facilitators who had previously graduated from the EL program.
To be eligible to participate in the EL program, a student must:
- Demonstrate interest and potential for leadership positions and service to the University community
- Be enrolled as a Southeast undergraduate student
- Be in good academic and disciplinary standing with the University
- Have completed less than 60 credit hours.
Exceptions may be made for students who have over 60 credit hours.
- Complete the Emerging Leaders application and a group interview with the EL facilitator team.
How to Participate in Emerging Leaders:
Based on applications and interviews with the EL facilitator team, up to 40 students will be selected to participate in Emerging Leaders. Applications for the spring 2021 Emerging Leaders program were due by November 11, 2020, and the Class of 2021 has been selected. The application for spring 2022 will be open and accessible on this website starting November 1, 2021.
Participants must make the following commitment to the EL program:
- Attend every two-hour session held on Wednesdays, 5:30 p.m. - 7:30 p.m.
- Attend a free off-campus weekend retreat
2021 Emerging Leaders Facilitators (ELFs)
- Olivia Jacobs (lead) – 2020 ELF, 2019 EL Participant, 2018 FYLP Participant
- Allison Otto (lead) – 2020 ELF, 2019 EL Participant, 2017 Camp Redhawk
- Megan Thompson (lead) – 2020 ELF, 2018 FYLP Facilitator, 2018 EL Participant, 2017 Camp Redhawk
- Steven Eldridge – 2019 FYLP Facilitator, 2019 EL Participant, 2018 FYLP Participant, 2018 Camp Redhawk
- Daniel Frew – 2020 & 2019 FYLP Facilitator, 2019 EL Participant, 2018 FYLP Participant, 2018 Camp Redhawk
- Patrick Koeller – 2020 & 2019 FYLP Facilitator, 2019 EL Participant, 2018 FYLP Participant, 2018 Camp Redhawk