It's likely you have questions! Here are some of the more frequently asked questions to help you find the quick answers.

If what you are looking for isn't here or for additional information, contact the Office of International Education and Services.

If you are a degree-seeking student, you must obtain an F-1 student visa. If you are a visiting or exchange student, you must obtain a J-1 exchange visitor visa.

After you are admitted, you will receive a notification of admission (Acceptance Letter) and a Certificate of Eligibility (I-20 Form or DS-2019 Form). F-1 and J-1 students are required to pay a one-time, non-refundable I-901 SEVIS (Student and Exchange Visitor Information System) fee prior to the visa appointment. The fee is payable at the Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) website.

In order to obtain a student visa, you will need to present the Certificate of Eligibility (I-20 Form or DS-2019 Form) along with other supporting materials to a United States embassy or consulate. For information on requirements, visit the US Embassy website.

If you are currently attending a college or university in the United States and are transferring to Southeast Missouri State University, your SEVIS record must be released from your former school to Southeast Missouri State University. Once we receive it, we will issue you a new Form I-20 (with the same SEVIS number) from Southeast Missouri State University.

Refer to the Recommended Arrival dates on the list of Important Dates

Detailed information can be found on the Transportation page

Yes! We want to know so we can plan for your arrival. Submit the Arrival Form as soon as possible!

All students under 21 must live on campus. We have many options available for all students though housing is assigned based on availability, contract date, and seniority in the residence system.

Students over 21 may live off campus. Staff and International Student Orientation Ambassadors will be available to assist you in finding off-campus accommodation during the recommended arrival dates. It is recommended to wait until you arrive to search for housing in Cape Girardeau.

More Information

Meningitis vaccination is required for those living in on-campus housing. This may be done in your home country. Please bring proof of vaccination with you. This must be legible and in English. We highly recommend getting the Mumps, Measles, Rubella (MMR) vaccination, which you may also obtain in your home country. You may also get other vaccines as recommended on the Health Profile form. Please bring proof of all vaccinations with you. They must be legible and in English.

A tuberculosis test (TB test) is required by the State of Missouri. The TB test must be completed once you arrive at the University. During the first day of Orientation, you will visit the Campus Clinic to have your TB test, and you may opt-in to also receive the meningitis vaccination and/or Mumps, Measles, Rubella (MMR) vaccination at that time.

More Information

We advise that you carry only a small amount of cash with you while traveling to reduce the risk of loss or theft. Though needs vary widely, we suggest that students bring at least $500 in cash to cover meals and other immediate expenses.

It is highly recommended that you open a bank account, as it can make transferring funds between your home bank account and your new account in the United States easier. You may also pay your bill by a money order, bank transfer, and ATM withdrawal. The University also partners with Flywire for a cost-effective way for international students to wire funds from their home country bank.

International students do not have to register for Orientation. We know that you are admitted and will arrive by the ‘Program Start Date’ on your I-20 Form and DS-2019, which is the date prior to the start of International Student Orientation. On the first day of Orientation, you will attend the Check-In event, where you will be given the Orientation Schedule for the remainder of the week.

More Information

Yes, International Student Orientation helps students with their transition to Southeast Missouri State University and the United States. All newly admitted international students (including those transferring in from a U.S. institution) are required to attend.

More Information

Orientation is always the week before classes start. Refer to the Orientation dates on the list of Important Dates.

More Information

As the Orientation Schedule is set, you will be able to access it on our orientation page.

More Information

You may arrive to the U.S. only 30 days before the ‘Program Start Date’ stated on your I-20 or DS-2019. Note that you should let the University know when you are arriving to the U.S., even if it is before the recommended arrival dates. To let the University know when you will arrive, please fill out the Arrival Form.

For undergraduate students on an F-1 visa, you will meet with an advisor and enroll in classes during the required International Student Orientation.

For J-1 students in exchange programs, please contact your program coordinator to find out details on how to enroll in classes.

Graduate students will be enrolled in classes by their academic advisor prior to arriving for or during International Student Orientation. For more information regarding graduate course enrollment, please contact your academic advisor or coordinator.

Transfer students please note that transfer credits are generally evaluated 2-4 weeks after acceptance and may reduce your program length. Please check your SEMO email to learn about how your transfer credit was processed.

You can access your e-mail by going to (Note: first, you must activate your Southeast Key (SE Key)). Enter your email address, which is your SE Key followed by, and the same password that you use for your SE Key.

SE Key = jsmith7s
Email Address =

1025 N. Sprigg
Cape Girardeau, MO 63701
Mailing Address
One University Plaza, MS 2000
Cape Girardeau, MO 63701