Share your talent: you’ll do that here.
Auditions are required for some musical ensembles, and many do not require students to be music majors. If you are interested in joining an ensemble, check out what it takes to audition.
We invite you to experience all that we have to offer on Music Major Days! We encourage that you audition while you are here, but we also welcome those who aren't planning to audition.
Audition or Attend Music Major Day!
If you are ready to audition for Music Major Day, please complete this form and select an event date that works for you! If our predetermined audition dates do not work for you, custom requests for other dates will be considered. You can attend a music major day even if you haven’t decided to audition.
Admission and/or Credit Transfer
Students who are transferring to Southeast and interested in joining the Department of Music should follow these steps for admission and credit transfer.
- For admission to any degree program, transfer students will need to present an official transcript to their assigned advisor before they register for courses. Students transferring to Southeast with less than 24 credit hours must attend First STEP orientation., enroll in UI100, and meet requirements of the sophomore review process. Students transferring with more than 24 credit hours have the option of attending a Transfer Orientation or meeting one on one with a music faculty advisor. To attend a Transfer Orientation, students must register with New Student Programs: (573) 651-5166.
- All transfer students must perform an applied music audition to ascertain competency level. 100- and 200- level applied music courses from other institutions may be accepted as transfer credit, but Southeast Department of Music reserves the right to assess incoming applied competency and place students accordingly.
- Transfer students are expected to take the piano proficiency test upon entering Southeast. Those who do not pass must enroll in the appropriate course level of Functional Piano. B.M.E. candidates are expected to PASS the piano proficiency test upon transferring to Southeast and may not student teach without having passed the test. Transfer students on the B.A. or B.M. degrees may not give the junior recital without having passed the proficiency in piano. Transfer credit equivalent to the piano proficiency test may also be accepted.
- Music Education students with an AA or AFA degree must meet the required university courses for state teacher certification (a BS course, a CH, GG or PH course, EN140, EX390, ME222, PS103, PY222, SC105, Pedagogy 1-3, OS200, US105 or US107).
- Transfer students who have earned 24 or more credit hours will have UI100.