Filing the FAFSA, the Free Application for Federal Student Aid, might seem long and confusing. But, a little preparation will make the process a lot easier!
Before you begin, you will want to gather all of the important documents. You will need:
- Your social security number
- Your parent’s social security numbers (if you’re a dependent)
- Your driver’s license number (if you have one)
- Records of untaxed income (which might include received child support, interest income, and veterans noneducation benefits for you and your parents if you’re a dependent)
- Information about savings and checking account balances
- Investments like stocks and bonds and real estate, and business and farm assets
- Federal tax information or tax returns, from two years prior
Having this information on hand will be such a time saver because it’ll help you stay organized while you fill out your FAFSA.