Introducing yourself to a potential employer at an event like SEMO’s Career Expo doesn’t have to be intimidating. Use these tips for crafting your quick, personal selling statement ahead of time.
1. Who you are, plus a credential. Your name and something that differentiates you from your peers (major, athlete, veteran).
2. Your specific goal/career interest.
3. Demonstrate your interest in the field using specific examples.
4. Why you are qualified. Demonstrate qualifications by sharing leadership and work experience, skills, strengths.
5. A question or request for assistance.
Use this template as a guide for crafting your elevator pitch:
- Hello, my name is __________ and I’m completing a degree in __________.
- I’m interested in a career (or position) in the __________ industry.
- I have been involved in __________. *
- I have developed skills in __________. I also had an internship/employment with __________ and discovered that I really enjoy __________.
- Could you tell me more about __________?
*Fill with relevant involvement you’ve had during college.
Tips brought to you by the Office of Career Services at Southeast Missouri State University.