Picking out classes for the next semester requires a lot of planning. It is pretty easy to get stressed out or overwhelmed thinking about all of the coursework that you will have in your upcoming classes.
While you are choosing your classes, don’t be afraid to go beyond the courses needed for your major. When choosing electives, you are given the perfect opportunity to explore and learn more about a subject and skill that you couldn’t normally do in your major. Southeast has some pretty cool classes to pick from and I have five fun and unique classes in mind that you should definitely check out!
- Rock Climbing and Rappelling (AT 174) :
Are you interested in reaching new heights? Sign up for SEMO’s Rock Climbing and Rappelling course! In this class, you will develop individual and group skills in solving physical situations and skill problems through role playing and initiative games. This course will be held both indoors and outdoors on the obstacle course. This class would be a great way to explore and take a break from your everyday work.
- Acting for Non-Majors (TH 101) : If you have an interest in acting, but you don’t want to pursue acting as a profession, this course is perfect for you! This course focuses on personal awareness, relaxation, concentration, coordination and integration, vocal skills, and scene study. It’s pretty easy to get stressed out during the semester, so it is great to have an outlet. This class gives you the opportunity to relax, express yourself and let your imagination flow.
- Beyond Project Runway FA 104 : Do you have a keen interest in fashion? Are you always keeping up with the latest trends? Well, this class is perfect for anyone who loves fashion. In this course, you will be able to learn so much about all of the fashion fundamentals including history, economics, international scope, sustainability and trends. Unleash your inner fashionista and learn about the in and outs of the fashion industry!
- The Art of Film (LI-205) : Grab the popcorn! I know that this class may sound like you are stuck watching movies the whole time, but in this course, you will be able to grasp the true beauty of film. Rather than merely watching, you will learn to read a film and to understand it as an important art form. In the Art of Film, you will study about the major artistic components of film through watching selected films, reading text, participating in discussion, and writing analyses. In this course, you will not only learn something new, but you might just see one of your favorite films from another perspective!
- Yoga (AT 148) : Yoga is known to help reduce and eliminate stress. Nothing is worse than a long stressful week, so this class would be the best way to relax. In this course, you will be taught beginning breathing patterns, relaxation techniques, physical postures, and concentration exercises. Yoga is also a great way to strengthen your soul and body, so it may even help you get in your daily workout!
I think that all of these unique classes would be super interesting and refreshing to take. Don’t be afraid to try something different and get out of your comfort zone because you may discover a new skill or topic that you love!