A Transfer Mentor will provide you with individual support while you are enrolled at a community college and through your first semester of enrollment at Southeast.

Through the Transfer Mentor Program, you can plan and track your degree program at Southeast Missouri State University from your very first semester of college.

Participating Schools:

Borough of Manhattan Community College
East Central College
Jefferson College
John A. Logan College
Mineral Area College 
Shawnee Community College
Three Rivers College

Frequently Ask Questions

To participate in the Transfer Mentor Program, complete the Southeast Missouri State University Transfer Mentor Program Agreement around the same time you are admitted to your community college.  You must have one full semester (excluding summer) remaining at your community college. It is not necessary to submit high school transcripts or test scores. A Southeast student record will be created for you. This will enable you to manage your degree program in Degree Works, the same web-based degree management system used by currently enrolled Southeast students. At this time, the Transfer Mentor Program is a pilot program and participation is limited to students currently enrolled at a participating community college.

The Transfer Mentor Program Agreement, authorizes your community college to send an official college transcript to Southeast at the conclusion of every semester. Your community college credits that are accepted by Southeast will be displayed in Degree Works. The credit you are awarded at Southeast will be displayed in Degree Works. Additionally, your catalog term of entry will be based upon your first semester of enrollment at the community college.

The Transfer Mentor Program agreement also authorizes Southeast to send official transcripts to your community college, if you are concurrently enrolled and/or if you transfer to Southeast before earning the associate's degree. This will enable you to earn your associate's degree while you are pursuing your bachelor's degree.

When you are ready to enroll (concurrently or transfer), apply for admission to Southeast.


No. Any community college student (resident or nonresident) may apply for the Transfer Mentor Program.

Yes. This information is available two ways:

  1. The Transfer Course Equivalency database displays how all courses transfer. Use this at any time on your own.
  2. Submit a request for an Individualized Transfer Plan. Please allow 10-14 days to process this request.

Think of it as a partnership between you, your community college, and Southeast. The three of us share information every semester and maintain a record of that information at Southeast in a web-based degree management system, Degree Works. In many cases, all three partners will have access to the system. You will be assigned a transfer mentor at Southeast and possibly at your community college.

If your community college is not a participant in the Transfer Mentor Program, you can still participate by completing the Transfer Mentor Program Agreement and sending your official community college transcripts to Southeast at the end of every semester.

To participate, you must have one full semester (excluding summer) remaining at your community college.

The Transfer Mentor Program will enhance your academic experience in several ways:

  1. Access to academic advising at Southeast
  2. Access to Southeast’s web-based degree management system to plan your path to a Bachelor’s Degree
  3. Complimentary admission to University Speaker Series events

Yes, at most community colleges. Schools that regularly send students to Southeast may designate an advisor to serve as a Southeast Transfer Mentor. If so, this individual will have access to view your Degree Works record while you are enrolled at the community college.

Submit an application for admission to Southeast the semester before you plan to enroll in classes at Southeast for the first time.

When you begin your college education, ideally you are planning ahead for the courses that will be required all the way through to graduation. Southeast will assign you a “Catalog Term of Entry” that is the same as your first semester of enrollment at the community college. This way, you can use the current Bulletin (Catalog) to know the coursework that will be required of you.

The Catalog Term of Entry will not change, unless you stop attending college for a full year or more.

Yes. An Online Programs Specialist from Southeast Online will serve as your Transfer Mentor.

Yes, this is referred to as “concurrent enrollment”. Occasionally, a student will take courses from two schools at the same time. There are a couple of things to know if you decide to do this:

  1. You need to apply to Southeast for the semester you plan to take courses. If you will still be a degree-seeking student at your community college, apply as a “visiting student” at Southeast.
  2. If you receive financial aid, visit with the financial aid office at your community college to determine if enrollment at another school will change your eligibility. You may be eligible to complete a consortium agreement, enabling you to receive the maximum amount of aid for which you qualify. Note: The Missouri A+ Schools Program scholarship requires full-time enrollment at the community college, though you may enroll in additional courses at a four-year institution at the same time.

Anytime, however, we advise you to talk with an academic advisor at your community college to plan your transfer.

Associate of Arts or Association of Arts in Teaching Degree

The associate of arts (AA) degree is designed as the statewide general studies transfer degree. This degree is structured for entry into the general range of baccalaureate degree programs offered by four-year colleges or universities. Students completing the AA degree will have completed the General Education program at Southeast.

Courses taken as part of an AA degree outside the general education program should be carefully chosen to ensure applicability to the baccalaureate graduation requirements for the program of study which the student intends to pursue at a four-year college or university. The transfer student has the responsibility to become familiar with the specific major and graduation requirements of the four-year institution to which transfer is intended.

Associate of Applied Science Degree

An associate of applied science (AAS) degree is oriented toward career and professional preparation. The primary purpose of this associate degree is to prepare a student for entry into a particular occupation. The AAS degree is not intended as a transfer degree into a baccalaureate program, however, when used for transfer, this degree requires careful planning and agreement between institutions. In order for students to be adequately prepared and to facilitate ease of transfer, a minimum of twenty-five percent of the AAS degree requirements shall consist of college-level transferable general education. The AAS transfer student should then be able to pursue upper-division advanced coursework in appropriate baccalaureate degree programs, while completing the remaining general education requirements.

Associate of Science Degree

An associate of science (AS) degree is a specialized transfer degree that is intended for students interested in transferring into professional programs that have a greater emphasis on science and math. Students completing an AS degree will be accepted as having completed lower-division general education requirements.


Providing you have earned 15 or more college-level, degree-eligible transfer credits from a Missouri two-year institution, you may be eligible to participate in the Missouri Reverse Transfer (MRT) program. Your Transfer Mentor will facilitate a “reverse transfer” on your behalf to ensure you earn your associate’s degree. A college credential, whether it is a certificate, associate or bachelor’s degree can open doors for you. As a participant in the Transfer Mentor Program, Southeast will send a transcript, free of charge, to your community college to support your “reverse transfer.”
Academic Hall, 100D
Mailing Address
One University Plaza, MS 3550
Cape Girardeau, MO 63701-4710