College of Education, Health and Human Studies
The Bachelor of Science in Nursing degree is housed within the College of Education, Health and Human Studies. The college boasts programs that train students in mind, body, and soul. So, whether you want to teach, to care, to support, or to fix, we have a program to get you there.
Online Learning at Southeast
When it comes to your success, we do whatever it takes. Online learning at Southeast takes the same reputable college courses taught by Southeast faculty and makes them available anytime, anywhere.
Assistant Professor in the Department of English
Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages Curriculum
The time it takes to earn a degree will vary based on factors such as dual enrollment, remediation, and summer enrollment. Students meet with an academic advisor each semester and use Degree Works to monitor their progress.
In addition to the criteria established for general admission to graduate studies, applicants must have the following:
- An undergraduate GPA of 2.5 on a 4.0 scale
TESOL – 33 Hours Required
- EN686 Sociolinguistics (3)
- TL525 Theories of ESL/EFL Learning (3)
- TL530 Practicum in TESOL (3)
- TL585 Methods and Curriculum Design for ESL/EFL (3)
- TL601 Research Methods in TESOL (3)
- TL620 Approaches to the Teaching of Grammar (3)
- TL625 Materials Development & Assessment Tools for TESOL (3)
- TL630 Special Problems in TESOL (3)
- TL648 Foundations in Linguistics (3)
Choose 6 Hours from the following:*
- EN606 Topics, Issues and Trends in English (3)
- TL610 Developing Intercultural Awareness and Competence (3)
- TL650 Strategies and Techniques for Teaching Academic Language Skills to English Language Learners (3)
- TL652 Computer-Assisted-Language Learning (3)
- XXxxx Appropriate course in field of interest, chosen with advisor
The TESOL program requires practical experience before completion of the program. Candidates meet the 33-hour requirement through course work and complete one of the following capstone options:
- A non-thesis graduate paper and comprehensive exam
- A portfolio and comprehensive exam
- A thesis and oral defense
The first year (12 hours):
- TL525 (3)
- TL648 (3)
- TL585 (3)
- TL601 (3)
The second year (15 hours):
- TL620 (3)
- TL630 (3)
- TL530 (3)
- TL625 (3)
- EN686 (3)
Summer classes are available. Students are encouraged to work with their advisor to design an initial study plan that is tailored to their specific needs based on their previous experience.
Become a Redhawk.
Do more than dream about the future. Take the first steps to make it all happen.
Getting the Job
Your education is just one piece to launching an extraordinary career. Once you’ve mastered the material, you still have to find the job you want, make the right connections, sell your knowledge and experience—and if all this is giving you anxiety, don’t panic. SEMO’s Career Services office is here to help you with the next step. They’ll provide the expertise and support you need, so you’re landing your dream job in no time.
Online: Secondary Education Degree Map
Explore the courses you'll need to complete your degree
What Can You Do with a M.A. in TESOL?
As an internationally, nationally, and regionally recognized program of excellence, TESOL prepares teachers for the K-12, adult, college or university setting for teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages. Graduates will work with children in preschool through high school, in adult education programs with refugees and immigrants, or in college and university programs.
You can take on roles such as:
- Instructional Coordinator
- ESL educators overseas and in the US
- International Program Coordinators
Secondary Education by the Numbers
Successful Outcomes Rate
Students graduating with degrees from the Department of English report being employed or furthering their education six months after graduation.
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics the median annual salary for instructional coordinators is $66,970.
Adult Basic and Secondary Education and ESL Teachers
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics the median annual salary for adult basic and secondary education and ESL teachers is $55,350.