The EDhawk Scholars program partners with our local school districts to help Southeast students gain valuable classroom experience and assists the districts in finding quality teaching candidates. Student teacher candidates are paired with school districts in Cape Girardeau, Jackson, and Sikeston for a full year. Candidates are then guaranteed an interview with the district.
- Collaborate with the Jackson R-II, Cape Girardeau, Sikeston, and Poplar Bluff School Districts in the selection of each cohort of EDhawk Scholars
- Scholars must have at least a 3.0 GPA in education courses
- 5-9, 9-12, and K-12: 3.0 GPA in content coursework
- Scholars must submit one recommendation
- Scholars must have a valid Missouri substitute certificate
Candidates with the following will receive preferred consideration:
- Educational technology badges to meet technology expectations
- Evidence of previous substitute teaching
Expectations of the EDhawk Scholars
- Have a valid substitute certificate by the start of the first semester of the program
- Be familiar with district processes for hiring substitute teachers
- Complete substitute teacher training with participating districts
- Commit to substitute teaching in a district at least once a week for 13 weeks during the fall semester
- Commit to completing student teaching in one or more of the participating districts
- Attend appropriate professional development activities in the district
- Meet all established requirements for student teaching and be enrolled in an Advanced Field Experience course
- Attend meetings and communicate regularly with Scholars Sponsor
- Professional Expectations
Expectations of Southeast Missouri State University Educator Preparation Program
- Collaborate with the Jackson R-II School District and Cape Girardeau Public Schools in the selection of each cohort of EDhawk Scholars
- Provide additional support for Scholars through regular communication and meetings
- Provide aggregated/de-identifiable data on EDhawk Scholars’ performance upon request
- Work with the district on professional development opportunities if requested
Expectations of the School District
- Participate in the selection of each cohort of EDhawk Scholars
- Allow Scholars to participate in district professional development opportunities as appropriate
- Guarantee a student teaching placement in the district for the second semester of the Scholars Program
- Guarantee an interview if the district has an open position for which a graduating Fellow is qualified
Benefits of the Program
Partner SchoolsFrom receiving a pool of highly qualified substitute teachers to getting an early opportunity to identify potential hires, to an all-around great opportunity to develop the next generation of teachers, the benefits of taking on Southeast’s teacher candidates are endless!
StudentsStudents in the EDhawk Scholars Program have the opportunity to gain authentic teaching and networking opportunities, as well as pay for subbing, participation in interviews from District Leadership, guaranteed student teaching placement, and guaranteed interviews when a position is available!
UniversityOur university has the opportunity to assist in the facilitation of placing students, create authentic learning opportunities for students, further strengthen and develop relationships within the community, and highlight the excellence in our college.