Become trauma-informed: You'll do that here.

Agencies across the country are working to become better equipped to effectively work with those who have experienced trauma. With a certificate in Trauma & Resiliency studies, you’ll be equipped to help those in need.

What You’ll Do:

  • Learn to recognize the symptoms and the negative impact of trauma.
  • Apply trauma-informed approaches and evidence-based skills that promote prevention, resiliency, and recovery in a variety of education and community environments.
  • Analyze service systems of care through a trauma-informed lens.

College of Education, Health and Human Studies

This degree is housed within the College of Education, Health and Human Studies. The college boasts programs that train students in mind, body, and soul. So, whether you want to teach, to care, to support, or to fix, we have a program to get you there.

What You'll Study

The certificate in trauma & resiliency studies will help meet the educational needs of current graduate students and professionals who aim to strengthen their understanding and skillset in the area of trauma and resilience.

This certificate requires 9 hours of coursework.

  • ED535: The Trauma-Informed Professional (3)
  • CF602: Trauma-Informed Care

One elective from the list below: 

  • EX621 Behavior Intervention Strategies (2) / EX 622 Behavior Intervention Strategies Internship (1) 
  • CJ630: Contemporary Juvenile Justice (3)
  • PS518: Public Policy Analysis (3)
  • EA709: Leadership and Communications (3)
  • CP631: Crisis Intervention and Consultation (3)

Getting the Job

Your education is just one piece to launching an extraordinary career. Once you’ve mastered the material, you still have to find the job you want, make the right connections, sell your knowledge and experience—and if all this is giving you anxiety, don’t panic. SEMO’s Career Services office is here to help you with the next step. They’ll provide the expertise and support you need, so you’re landing your dream job in no time.

Become a Redhawk.

Do more than dream about the future. Take the first steps to make it all happen.

FAQ for Trauma and Resiliency Studies Graduate Certificate

You will need to apply to the graduate school. Once you are accepted, you will receive information about enrolling in the courses. You can access the Graduate School Application here or on the SEMO website.

For information about cost, please visit our financial services page.

· ED535 is offered fall, spring, and summer semesters. Both on campus and online options are available

· CF602 is offered spring semester and possibly fall semester, online option only

· Elective courses are offered in fall, spring, and summer semesters with on campus and online options

No, there are no prerequisites. Although one should complete ED535 first prior to enrolling in CF602 or at least take concurrently.

No, you can complete the courses as your schedule allows.

For each course, you will complete weekly modules that entail readings, discussions, quizzes, and other various short assignments. It is estimated to take 3-4 hours to complete each weekly module.

Yes, if you took the courses for graduate credit then they would count towards the certificate.

Yes, you will need to reapply to the graduate school in order to complete the certificate.

Below is the course description for the two required courses. Please email Dr. Tony Faber for a copy of the syllabi. For a course description of the elective courses please visit Course Descriptions

ED535: Developing trauma knowledgeable professionals to foster resiliency building practices in children and adults impacted by trauma.

CF602: Using an ecological perspective, service systems will be evaluated in relation to trauma informed models and standards of care.

Possibly, your transcripts will need to be submitted and reviewed to make that determination. The course would need to be similar to one of the courses listed for the certificate.

Yes, we are currently getting approval to offer the certificate as an accelerated program. This will allow undergraduate students to take two of the three courses for graduate credit. Please reach out to Dr. Tony Faber for more information regarding the requirements and application process.
Office Location
Scully Building 114
Mailing Location
One University Plaza, MS 5750
Cape Girardeau, Missouri 63701