Office: Scully 405G
- Ph.D., Clinical Psychology, Miami University
- M.A., Clinical Psychology, Miami University
- B.Sc. (Hon.), Psychology, University of Victoria
- Abnormal Psychology
- Health Psychology
- Development of the Adolescent
- Introduction to Personality
- Psychological Development Across the Life Span
- Psychological Perspective on Human Behavior (Online)
- Online Therapy, Therapeutic Alliance, Session Impact, Online Teaching, Professor-Student
Rapport, Media Representations of Mental Disorders, New Age Therapy
- Nettelhorst, S. C., Chin, E., Krome, L. R., & Reynolds, D. J., Jr. (2019). Change
my mind: The impact of online client ratings and reviews on perceptions of therapists.
Journal of Consumer Health on the Internet, 23(3), 227-248. doi: 10.1080/15398285.2019.1646009
- Young, S. L., & Reynolds, D. J., Jr. (2016). "You can be an agent of change": The
rhetoric of new age self-help in Enlightened. Western Journal of Communication, 81(1),
- Reynolds, D. J., Jr., Stiles, W. B., & Hanley, T. (2015). The online calming effect:
Does the Internet provide a more comfortable modality for conducting psychotherapy?
In G. Riva, B. K. Wiederhold, & P. Cipresso (Eds.), The psychology of social networking:
Identity and relationships in online communities (Vol. 2, pp. 17-28). Warsaw, Poland:
De Gruyter Open.
- Reynolds, D. J. (2014). How do client and therapists in online text therapy experience
their exchanges and relationship? Annual Review of Cybertherapy and Telemedicine,
- Reynolds, D. J., Jr., Stiles, W. B., Bailer, A. J., & Hughes, M. R. (2013). Impact
of exchanges and client-therapist alliance in online text psychotherapy. Cyberpsychology,
Behavior, and Social Networking, 16(5), 370-377.
- Reynolds, D. J., Jr., Hanley, T., & Wolf, M. (2012). Reaching out across the virtual
divide: An empirical review of text-based therapeutic online relationships. In B.
I. Popoola & O. F. Adebowale (Eds.), Online guidance and counselling: Toward effectively
applying technology (pp. 64-90). Hershey, PA: IGI Global.
Selected Conference Presentations
- Nettelhorst, S. C., Chin, E., Krome, L. R., & Reynolds, D. J., Jr. (2019, August).
Change my mind: The impact of online client ratings and reviews on perceptions of
therapists. Poster presented at the annual convention of the American Psychological
Association, Chicago, IL.
- Reynolds, D. J., Jr., & Chin, E. (2019, May). The construction of a professor-student
scale for use in distance learning. Poster presented at the annual convention of the
Association for Psychological Science, Washington, DC.
- Reynolds, D. J., Jr. (2014, June). How do clients and therapists in online text therapy
experience their exchanges? Paper presented at the annual meeting of the CyberPsychology,
CyberTherapy & Social Networking Conference, Washington, DC.
- Reynolds, D. J., Jr. (2012, October). Reviewing the evidence of whether a text-based
therapeutic connection is possible online. Paper presented at the annual meeting of
the Indiana Academy of the Social Sciences, Gary, IN.