What area do you teach?
Horticulture and Agribusiness
Ph.D., 1989, Texas A&M University-College Station, Horticulture.
M.S., 1986, University of Tennessee-Knoxville, Ornamental Horticulture and Landscape Design
B.S., 1984, California State University-Chico, Plant Science.
A.A., 1982, Yuba College, General Education, English
Your Philosophy of Teaching
I have experienced Horticulture as the synthesis of science, business, and art of cultivating plants for food, medicine, comfort, beauty, and environmental improvement. Successful horticulturists integrate their knowledge and experiences into a thinking and problem-solving style consistent with a people-influenced interactive world.
Why did you decide to teach?
All areas of Horticulture and Agribusiness are enjoyable, but they are more enjoyable when shared with others.
Assistant Professor, 1989-1995, University of Florida-FLREC, 75% Teaching and 25% Research.
Assistant Professor, 1995-2003, Oregon State University-NWREC, 75% Research and 25% Extension.
HortSolutions, LLC, 2003-2008, consultant and private research.
Southeast Missouri State University, 2008-present, 95% Teaching, 5% Service.
- Presenting Research in Australia (twice) and Canada (multiple times)
- Breeding, patenting, and releasing new Pieris cultivars for use in the nursery and landscape industries
- 2017, Business Today Newsmaker, Southeast Missourian
- 2016, Service Award, College of Science, Technology and Agriculture, Southeast Missouri State University
- 2016, ShowMe Day Award, Office of Admissions, Southeast Missouri State University
- 2011, Teaching Award, School of Polytechnic Studies, Southeast Missouri State University
- 1998, Distinguished Education Award, Oregon Association of Nurseries
- Organizations with Which You are Involved
- International Society for Horticultural Science (ISHS)
- American Society for Horticultural Science (ASHS)
- Missouri Academy of Science (MAS)
- Missouri Green Industry Alliance (MoGIA)
- Western Nursery and Landscape Association (WNLA)
Most Recent/Notable Published Works
- Svenson, S. and M. Aide. 2017. Evaluation of Potato Nitrogen Uptake and Nitrate Leaching under Center Pivot Irrigation in Southeastern Missouri. International Journal of Applied Agriculture 12(3):295-307.
- Svenson, S. and M. Aide. 2017. Evaluation of Potato Potassium, Phosphorus, and Sulfur Uptake and Leaching Under Center Pivot Irrigation in Southeastern Missouri. International Journal of Applied Agriculture 12(3):309-319.
- Svenson, S.E. 2017. Bloom time and flowering duration of Pieris clones in two USDA hardiness zones. Acta Horticulturae No. 1191, pp. 37-42.
- Svenson, S.E. 2017. Rooting cuttings of three Pieris species and hybrids in two propagation systems. Acta Horticulturae No. 1191, pp. 97-104.
Best Advice for Students
Communicate with your instructors so they can help you be successful.