Begin Dec 17
Next sessions begin
DEC 17 and Jan 14
Explore a better path for society
Pursue Your Passion
A family studies degree from Southeast builds understanding of how social issues and
policy affect families.
Tailor Your Degree
Customize your study based on your career pursuits. Because the degree is 100% online,
you'll never have to come to campus. But, you'll have the same expert faculty who
teach on campus teaching your courses.
Southeast's Personal Support
Online and on your schedule doesn't mean on your own. Faculty, advisors, and our skilled
Career Services team will guide you to your goals. Plus, our grads in this program
boast a 100% outcomes rate.
Download Program Info
The numbers tell the story…
per credit hour
100% employed or in grad school
- Certified Family Life Educator program
- Field experiences available
- Minors available to better position your career
- Award-winning advising and coaching team
- Year-round classes to reduce time to degree
We let our graduates do the talking...
"I found this major while looking at electives to take in the bulletin. I completed
the intro course with Dr. Shelba Branscum and fell in love with her teaching style
and the coursework. Southeast was supportive, open, and caring. I was pushed to try
things I never thought I would pursue."Danielle Alspaugh, ' 03
Our Alumni Go Places.
From national agencies like Big Brothers/Big Sisters to local nonprofit agencies,
our graduates are making a difference in their communities.
Below are just a few examples of the companies who hire graduates from the College
of Education, Health and Human Studies at Southeast Missouri State.
- AB Spectrum
- Baltimore Ravens
- BJC HealthCare
- Bootheel Counseling Services
- Coastal Orthopedics
- Cardinal Glennon
- Community Counseling Center
- Jumpstart Autism Center
- Kedrion Biopharma
- Mayo Clinic
- Mercy Hospital
- Missouri Baptist Medical Center
- New Vision Counseling
- Saint Francis Healthcare System
- School Districts Across the Country
- SSM Health
- Thrive Autism Solutions
- Walt Disney World
The degree in family studies focuses on integrating theory, research, and practice,
so you are prepared for a variety of jobs. Southeast's program is an accredited Certified
Family Life Educator program, so students can become Provisional Certified Family
Life Educators, giving you both the foundations and credentials to succeed in service.
- Admission to the University meets requirements for entry into the family studies program.
View full requirements
- CF 102. Relationships in the 21st Century.
Insights into relating to others through the framework of dating, committed relationships,
family, and friends. (3).
- CF 120. The Child: Development from Conception Through Adolescence.
An overview of the social, cognitive, physical, and emotional changes that occur from
conception through adolescence. (3).
- CF 124. Children's Health, Nutrition and Safety.
Children's wellness through child development: Health, nutrition, and safety utilizing
principles of optimal practice in quality care and education environments. (3).
View all courses
- "I decided to teach because I love helping students succeed and showing them that
learning is a lifelong process."
—Sarah Kuborn, Ph.D., CFLE
Department of Child and Family Studies
View all faculty