The Horizons Enrichment Center program is a five-day-a-week program.
- Prior to the age of 21 (18 with special circumstances), individuals have been diagnosed with a developmental or mental disability
- Are residents of Cape Girardeau, Scott, or Bollinger Counties
Each participant must be Medicaid eligible, but private pay also is available.
We are a medical model program with a full-time nurse on staff during scheduled program hours. Snacks and a hot lunch are provided by St. Francis Hospital/Meals on Wheels at no cost to the participants.
Our program services include:
- Social integration
- Life skill instruction
- Recreation Therapy in collaboration with Healthpoint
- Group Speech Therapy with the Southeast Missouri State University Department of Communication Disorders
- Martial Arts
- Community field trips
- Organized craft activities
- Service-learning with the Southeast Missouri State University Department of Child and Family Studies
We offer a developmentally appropriate educational curriculum. Through careful planning and consideration, we offer each participant the opportunity to access community facilities and events each month. A calendar with our daily and monthly activities is sent home at the beginning of each month with each participant. In our classrooms, individuals will receive one-on-one attention from staff members. We provide a safe nurturing environment for all participants.
The Horizons Enrichment Center Day Program will arrange or provide transportation to and from the center each day. This is at no cost to the participant. Bus routes, schedules, and stops are developed by the director.