Develop and improve your child’s literacy skills with our teacher candidates.
Read to Succeed Reading Academy Grades 1-6
Fall 21 Registration begins September 16, 2021, and closes October 1, 2021
Updates for Fall 2021 Reading Academy Regarding the COVID 19 Pandemic
- Tutoring sessions will be in person
- Tutoring sessions will be 45 minutes in length and held twice a week
- Tutoring sessions will begin the week of October 18, 2021 and end the week of December 6, 2021
- Tutoring sessions will be held;
- Monday and Wednesday:
- Option 1/3:45-4:30
- Option 2/4:30-5:15
- Tuesday and Thursday
- Option 3/3:45-4:30
- Option 4/4:30-5:15
- Monday and Wednesday:
- Students who have been recommended by their classroom teacher will have first priority
- Students who miss more than two sessions and are not made up at a later date will be asked to exit the program to allow for another student to participate who is on the waiting list
- Parents and guardians will need to complete the online registration form and submit by October 1, 2021
- Students will be provided a mask with a plastic section around the mouth and asked to clean after each use and bring to each tutoring session
- Tutors will wear an adult version of what the students will be wearing
- Parents and guardians are asked to wear a mask while in Scully Building
- If a student needs to quarantine, parent or guardian must contact Dr. Debra Porter and she will inform the tutor
- If a tutor needs to quarantine, parents or guardians will be notified and can make the decision to quarantine their child
- All tutoring sessions will be held in Scully Building
- Each tutor will clean area before and after tutoring along with any materials used by the student
- Thanksgiving week there will be no tutoring (November 22-26)
Southeast Missouri State University’s Elementary, Early and Special Education Department is dedicated in providing literary support to children in grades one through six. Our Read to Succeed Plus (R2S+) Reading Academy, located in Scully Building, creates an environment in which struggling readers can take risks and build confidence as they develop literacy skills to become proficient readers. R2S+ Reading Academy provides services to the families of the Southeast Missouri region.
Read to Succeed Plus Reading Academy is affiliated with the Elementary, Early and Special Education Department in the College of Education, Health and Human Studies. R2S+ is a site for education students to develop exemplary literacy teaching practices and specifically work with children who are not reading at their given grade level. The Reading Academy is committed to supporting teacher candidates through experiential learning and collaboration. The College of Education, Health and Human Studies uses this site for conducting state of the art research in order to create teachers who excel in literacy instruction.
R2S+ offers weekly individual literacy instruction by teacher candidates who are in their last semester before they student teach. Instructional sessions and teacher candidates are supervised by university instructors. The program is modeled on a Balanced Literacy approach that includes guided reading, phonemic awareness, word work and phonics instruction, writing about reading, fluency, speaking and listening, comprehension and vocabulary instruction. Teacher candidates use technology to enhance their instruction and the learning experience of the student. Teacher candidates will also plan and implement direct and explicit instruction for students to maximize their knowledge and develop skills to become proficient readers and writers.
In order to best meet the students’ needs, R2S+ teacher candidates administer a series of literacy assessments. After assessments have been completed, teacher candidates and the university supervisor analyze the assessments to create a detailed Literacy Profile that establishes the student’s reading and writing strengths. This profile gives parents individualized recommendations to support their child’s literacy development. In addition, this evaluation provides guidance to the teacher candidates when delivering instruction to students.
- One-on-one tutoring sessions for children in grades 1 through 6 for one hour, twice a week
- Outstanding teacher candidates majoring in elementary education
- Individualized assessment and instruction based on your child’s specific needs
- Progress reports to families about the work your child does in R2S+
- Recommendations at the end of the semester
- End-of-semester conferences
- The child and their caregiver will attend sessions each week
- Child and caregiver will participate in at-home assignments
- Ongoing communication with the teacher candidate
Email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information or questions.
“I was introduced to Read to Succeed Academy almost two years ago. My family and I are very pleased with the outcome. The teachers are amazing and have displayed professionalism throughout their learning process along with helping my two children gain confidence in their reading skills.” - Shanta Calbert, parent