Southeast's biology program offers a variety of opportunities for personalized study
and training. Southeast has a low student-to-faculty ratio. Every student has the
opportunity to work with individual faculty members in the laboratory or in field-based
research opportunities. The Biology department also has several student organizations
in which to meet other students interested in your area.
To earn a degree in Biology, the following courses are required:
- General Education (General Education) = 51 hours. Some biology degree requirements
also meet General Education requirements (*)
- Core biology courses required = 26 hours.
- Courses required for options = 6-15 hours.
- Biology electives = 8-17 hours. The remaining hours required for the degree are comprised
of additional requirements and suggested electives. The amount of hours varies depending
on the option chosen. The Gulf Coast Research Laboratory courses may also be used as electives with advisor approval.
- No minor is required.
Study Options in Biology
- Biomedical Sciences
Designed for students seeking admission to medical, dental, chiropractic, or optometry
- Marine Biology
- Microbiology, Cellular and Molecular Biology, and Biotechnology
- Organismal, Ecological, and Evolutionary Biology
Designed for students interested in zoology, botany, ecology, or evolution
- Pre-Physician Assistant
- Science Education
- Wildlife and Conservation Biology
- Environmental Science Program
Minors in Biology