See the latest updates and information regarding the COVID-19 pandemic, including
a list of University contact information at semo.edu/covid19.
Creating content, establishing contacts and maintaining connections with an ever-changing
audience is the key to working in today’s media industry. Southeast’s Department of
Mass Media prepares students to enter this fast-paced field through a combination
of innovative curriculum design, access to dedicated faculty who successfully combine
both professional skill sets and academic credentials, and experiential learning opportunities.
Students select from one of four options to specialize in: advertising, multimedia
journalism, public relations, or TV/film.
The Department of Mass Media is one of the largest on Southeast’s campus and is one
of 119 programs nationwide that is accredited by the Accrediting Council on Education
in Journalism and Mass Communications (ACEJMC).
What You'll Do
- Earn their degrees from an accredited program that is one of about 40 worldwide that
have earned Certification in Education in Public Relations (CEPR) from the Public
Relations Society of America (PRSA).
- Have the opportunity to gain practical experience with real clients through course
work and the student-run firm, Riverfront Public Relations.
- Have the opportunity to network with industry professionals and other students worldwide
through the Public Relations Student Society of America (PRSSA).
- Learn the fundamental skills of public relations writing, strategy development, multimedia
production, research and relationship-building.
- Have a wide range of career options including agencies, corporate communication departments,
not-for-profit organizations, health facilities, event and entertainment outlets,
sports venues, and governmental and political organizations.
What You'll Study
- MC101 Mass Communication and Society
- MC301 Mass Communication Theory & Research
- MC231 Strategic Relations
- MC330 Public Relations Principles
View College Page