See the latest updates and information regarding the COVID-19 pandemic, including
a list of University contact information at semo.edu/covid19.
Philosophy provides a foundation for non-technical and professional careers and provides
an excellent background for students planning to attend graduate school or law school.
Many of the skills needed for law school, such as the ability to extract the main
idea from difficult and closely argued material and the analysis and delivery of arguments,
are developed in the study of philosophy.
What You'll Do
- Be challenged to think systematically and analytically about issues that impact life,
careers, and community.
- Broaden their problem solving, critical thinking, and communication skills.
- Be well prepared for graduate and other advanced study.
- Outperform most other majors on tests, such as the GRE, LSAT and GMAT. Overall, philosophy
majors have the highest
verbal score and second highest analytic score on the GRE.
- Learn valuable skills that adapt to changing careers and life demands.
What You'll Study
- PL120 Symbolic Logic I
- PL204 Ethical Theory
- PL300 Ancient Philosophy
- PL310 Modern Philosophy
View College Page