The Provost’s Awards for Teaching Excellence
The Provost’s Awards for Teaching Excellence recognize faculty who have demonstrated
a commitment to exceptional teaching and student success. Multiple awards are available
each year across a range of categories. In 2018/2019, faculty were recognized with awards
in the following categories:
- Excellence in online teaching and learning (only available for Online Teaching Academy
participants) - Recipient: Tony Faber
- Excellence in student learning assessment - Recipient: Missy Nieveen Phegley
- Excellence in supporting undergraduate research - Recipient: Christina Ragain
- Excellence in the scholarship of teaching and learning (SoTL) - Recipient: Larry Bohannon
- Excellence in teaching or supporting general education courses - Recipient: Sara Garner
- Excellence in promoting experiential learning - Recipient: Victoria McAlister
- Excellence in promoting engaged learning - Recipient: Rachel Morgan Theall
- Excellence in supporting student recruitment - Recipient: Holly Wagner
Who can receive an award?
Any faculty member (full-time or adjunct) is eligible to be nominated (i.e. by another
colleague) or to apply directly for these awards.
What are the award criteria?
The applications/nominations will be evaluated against the following criteria:
- The applicant’s/nominee’s fit for the chosen award/s based on the letter of support
- The applicant’s/nominee’s fit for the chosen award/s based on their supervisor’s endorsement
What is the process for applying or nominating a colleague?
The call for applications and nominations is now open. Please use the Teaching Awards
Cover Sheet to apply for an award, or to nominate a colleague. Applications must be accompanied by a letter of support by the nominator or applicant.
In addition to the letter of support, the evaluation team will contact the nominee’s/applicant’s
supervisor for a verbal or written endorsement.
What is the deadline?
Please send applications as an email attachment to ProvostAwards@semo.edu by March 1, 2020.
How will the award recipients be honored?
The recipients of each award will be announced during the Spring 2020 semester. The
award recipients will receive:
- An engraved plaque
- A photo with the Provost
- Inclusion in a University news release