See the latest updates and information regarding the COVID-19 pandemic, including
a list of University contact information at semo.edu/covid19.
Begin DECEMBER 21
Next session begins
Exceed expectation: launch an extraordinary career
Take Charge of Your Future
Maybe you have credits from other institutions. Maybe you just aren't sure what area
you want to study. Southeast's general studies degree prepares you for the professional
future you want, while allowing you the flexibility to focus on your interests.
It's 100% online, so you study on your schedule without ever having to come to campus.
Plus, our same award-winning faculty who teach on campus, teach online.
Skills that Matter
Employers say the skills most sought after are communications, critical thinking,
and problem-solving--all things you can learn with a general studies degree from Southeast.
Download Program Info
The numbers tell the story…
per credit hour
department graduates employed or in grad school
- Fastest degree to complete with prior credits
- Minors available to advance your career
- 4-, 8-, and 16-week courses to meet your learning preferences
- Award-winning advising and coaching team
- Year-round classes to reduce time to degree
We let our graduates do the talking...
"I learned you can always follow your dreams, even if you don't know who you are yet.
It prepared me to know people and to talk and work with professional people. "Marlie Love '10, General Studies, author and life coach
Our Alumni Go Places.
Preparing you with the critical workforce skills to be a confident, competitive job
candidate in today's ever-changing marketplace.
Below are just a few examples of the companies who hire graduates from the College
of Humanities and Social Science at Southeast Missouri State.
- Drug Enforcement Agency (DEA)
- Enterprise Holdings
- Guin, Mundorf LLC
- Missouri Botanical Gardens
- Missouri Court of Appeals
- Missouri History Museum
- Missouri House of Representatives
- Missouri Recovery Network
- Missouri State Highway Patrol
- National Transportation Safety Board
- Nestle Purina
- Redwood Logistics
- Sherwin Williams
- State of Missouri
- St. Louis Art Museum
- The Center for Youth and Family
- United States Air Force
- United States Department of Forestry
- United States Department of State
- United States Peace Corps
- United States Secret Service
Automation and other technical advancements are rapidly changing the world of work,
and preparing for jobs that will exist in the future can be a challenge. We will help
you tailor the Bachelor of General Studies (BGS) degree to include classes focused
on your career interests. As a Southeast Online BGS student, you can gain real-world
workplace experiences to build your resume while in school. In doing so, you will
develop the critical workforce skills all employers seek.
- Admission to the University meets requirements for entry into the general studies
View full requirements
- OS 200. Survey of Social Science.
Survey of the origins, development, and practice of social science in the disciplines
of history, political science, economics, sociology, anthropology, psychology, and
- SC 107. Online Oral Presentations.
A course that adapts principles of effective public speaking to the online environment
and evaluates students' application of those principles. (3)
- EN 140. Rhetoric and Critical Thinking.
Focus on effective written expression in the context of a liberal education; emphasis
upon critical thinking and the research paper. (3)
View all courses
- Dr. Sally Spalding of the Department of Communication and Modern Languages earned
her stripes early on as a scholar, winning the Top Undergraduate Paper Award in 2009
from the Organization for the Study of Language, Communication, and Gender.
View all faculty
Why Wait? Start Today.