Begin Jan 21
Next session begins
Prepare to change your career - and change lives - on your timeline.
Pathway to Teaching
No teaching degree? We designed this program for you! Achieve an initial teaching
certificate in STEM (science, technology, engineering, mathematics). The program’s
course work leads to certifications in math or science for grades 5-9 or in biology,
chemistry, earth science, math ,or physics for grades 9-12.
It's 100% online, so never set foot on campus! Class discussions happen in online
forums, so you can learn and network on a flexible schedule.
Download Program Info
The numbers tell the story…
per credit hour
employed or in grad school
- Undergraduate education degree not required
- Accredited by the Council for the Accreditation of Educator Preparation
- Flexible schedule with teachers in mind
- Courses reviewed with Quality Matters
- Faculty mentors with teaching experience relevant to your pursuit
We let our graduates do the talking...
"At Southeast I’ve felt I can strive to be anything I want to be. The University has
the programs and organizations to let me do that and has provided all the resources
required for me to be a successful teacher."Ke-La Harris, Middle School Education: Math, 2020
Our Alumni Go Places.
Our graduates have taught in schools across the United States and around the world.
Below are just a few examples of the companies who hire graduates from the College
of Education, Health and Human Studies at Southeast Missouri State.
- AB Spectrum
- Baltimore Ravens
- BJC HealthCare
- Bootheel Counseling Services
- Coastal Orthopedics
- Cardinal Glennon
- Community Counseling Center
- Jumpstart Autism Center
- Kedrion Biopharma
- Mayo Clinic
- Mercy Hospital
- Missouri Baptist Medical Center
- New Vision Counseling
- Saint Francis Healthcare System
- School Districts Across the Country
- SSM Health
- Thrive Autism Solutions
- Walt Disney World
The Masters of Arts in Teaching in STEM online is for those who don't have an undergraduate
degree in education or a teaching certificate but want to teach in the areas of science,
technology, engineering, or mathematics. The 37-credit hour program includes pedagogy
course work online. Capstone field work will be completed locally.
- For certification to teach grades 9-12, applicant must have a B.A./B.S. in the content
area or closely related field that meets the required competencies for the license
- For certification to teach grades 5-9, applicant must have B.A./B.S. in the content
area OR 24 credit hours of completed courses that meet the required competencies for
- Math: 24 hours of math must include courses in college algebra, geometry, and applied
- General science: 24 hours of science with a minimum of eight hours of physical
science and eight hours of life science
- Cumulative 2.75 GPA
- Content 3.0 GPA
- Prerequisites: PY222 or a similar course and EX390/635 Psychology of Exceptional Child
- Successful passage of Missouri Content Assessment (MoCA) in an appropriate area as
defined by Southeast’s Department of Middle and Secondary Education
View full requirements
- SE 650. Introduction to Teaching Methods in Middle and Secondary Schools.
Exploration of evidence-based practices related to teaching in middle and secondary
schools and the social, legal, and historical contexts in which those practices occur.
- SE 651. Introductory Practicum 1 in Middle and Secondary Schools.
Field experience for implementing competencies: differentiation, using assessment
data, addressing diversity, developing collaborations, managing classrooms, and professional
- SE 652. Intermediate Methods of Teaching in Middle Schools.
Interdisciplinary methods and teaching strategies integrating effective methods for
implementing educational technology into instruction at the middle school level. (3).
View all courses
- "In order to promote a sense of community and collaboration, I design each class to
address active student engagement where my philosophy centers on the constructivist
approach to learning."
—Dr. Lisa Bertrand, Ed.D.
Department of Leadership, Middle and Secondary Education
View all faculty