Begin MAY 19
Next session begins
Your students mean the world to you. Let's enhance your skills.
Tailor Your Degree
You have worked in a classroom and are ready to take the next steps. You have a deep
desire to keep learning your craft. Southeast Missouri State University is ready to
help you enhance your teaching knowledge. Specialize in reading, math/science, and
As a busy teacher, you need a program that's convenient for you. We provide a flexible
30 credit hours online program.
Quality, Accredited University
Southeast is consistently recognized for academic excellence by the U.S. News & World
Report Best Colleges Rankings for institutions in the Midwest and is fully accredited
by the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools and the National Council
for the Accreditation of Teacher Education.
Download Program Info
The numbers tell the story…
per credit hour
92% employed or in grad school
- Apple Distinguished School
- Emphasis on technology in the classroom
- Fully accredited
- Areas in reading, STEM, and Early Childhood Education
- Flexible courses built with teachers in mind
- Courses reviewed by Quality Matters
- Mentoring from faculty with education experience
We let our graduates do the talking...
"Southeast is a school with a lot of heart. The professors in the College of Education
took us under their wings and did everything they knew how to make us the most effective
teachers. They built relationships with us and cared about us. That’s the first step
to effective teaching."Samohya Stallons, Elementary Education
You’re going to make a difference with the next generation, and we’re going to make
sure you’re ready. You’ll learn from education leaders who will help you meet your
goals. At Southeast Missouri State University, we’re working to ensure you’re prepared
to take the next step in your career.
Make this your story
Our Alumni Go Places.
Below are just a few examples of the companies who hire graduates from the College
of Education, Health and Human Studies at Southeast Missouri State.
- AB Spectrum
- Baltimore Ravens
- BJC HealthCare
- Bootheel Counseling Services
- Coastal Orthopedics
- Cardinal Glennon
- Community Counseling Center
- Jumpstart Autism Center
- Kedrion Biopharma
- Mayo Clinic
- Mercy Hospital
- Missouri Baptist Medical Center
- New Vision Counseling
- Saint Francis Healthcare System
- School Districts Across the Country
- SSM Health
- Thrive Autism Solutions
- Walt Disney World
The Master of Arts in elementary education offers three emphasis areas: reading, math/science,
and early childhood education. The program is designed to help classroom teachers
deepen their teaching skills and knowledge in their field of expertise, or expand
their background into a new teaching area and/or certification. Please note this program
will not lead to an initial teacher license.
- The applicant must have a teaching certificate or a qualifying score on the state
content exam appropriate for that certificate OR be in the 50th percentile of the
verbal and analytic components of the Graduate Record Examination (GRE).
- Undergraduate grade point average must be at or above a 2.75.
- The program admission process must be completed within one calendar year.
View full requirements
- CE 614. Family/School Partnerships in Early Childhood.
Analysis of current programs and practices in establishing family/school partnerships
to support education decision making and child learning. (3).
- EL 615. Research In Action.
Introduction to the methods of action research for improving an aspect of the teaching-learning
- CE 605. Issues and Trends in Early Childhood Education.
This course provides in-depth study and recent findings in the trends and issues affecting
the education and development of young children, including those with disabilities.
View all courses
- Dr. Tahsin Khalid is an accomplished educator with research interests that include
determining teacher and student perception related to various issues, exploring various
instructional strategies, and exploring the classroom use of various technology tools.
View all faculty