The University School for Young Children offers employment opportunities for SEMO students who are interested in gaining experience working with children.
Job Title: Student Worker
Reports to: Supervisory Teacher / Director / Associate Director
General Duties: Responsible for assisting the supervisory teacher in the classroom and with daily activities.
Apply today to be a student worker at the USYC!
- Greet each parent and child in the classroom
- Contribute toward the total functioning of the classroom, supervision, and classroom cleanliness
- Responsible for the welfare, health, and safety of all children
- Maintain appropriate interactions with staff, children, and parents
- Be punctual for scheduled shift
- Carry out the center rules and regulations
- Maintain overall professionalism
- Assist with supervision of the children while on off-campus field trips
- Maintain the safety of children in case of emergency
- Work and help out in the kitchen, as needed
All students must complete orientation before participation at the University School for Young Children.
Before starting employment at the University School for Young Children, you must complete a Child-Care and Elder-Care Worker Registration form and submit it to the Missouri Department of Health so a background check may be performed.
First Aid and Infant/Child CPR Certification
All practicum students and student employees are expected to complete training in Pediatric First Aid and Infant/Child CPR. You will be informed of available training opportunities.
Medical Examination and TB Test
The state of Missouri requires that every person working in a childcare setting with children have a medical examination and TB test.
Students must submit a current transcript each semester they work or participate in a practicum at the University School for Young Children.
We depend on our students to be here and must arrange for a substitute if they are not. Student employees must be punctual and remain at the school for the entire scheduled block of time. Please do not schedule appointments during lab or work time.
Absences are allowed only for illness or emergencies. If you are going to be absent, leave a message with the operations supervisor at (573) 651-2516. Do not leave emails as they may not be checked before your scheduled time. Call the school at (573) 651-2516 by 7:30 a.m. when you are ill or before your scheduled time if you are going to be five or more minutes late. This is extremely important.
When students drive to the University School for Young Children, they may not park in the parking lot designated for parents. Talk to the operations supervisor or your lead teacher about acceptable places to park.