Begin Jan 21
Next session begins
You want the best education for your students. You deserve the same.
Advance Your Career
It's not a job; it's a calling. At Southeast Missouri State University, we know how
important your work is. Our program gives you the knowledge, the skills, and the confidence
to truly impact education.
Quality, Accredited University
Southeast Missouri State University is consistently recognized for academic excellence
by the U.S. News & World Report Best Colleges Rankings for institutions in the Midwest
and is fully accredited by the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools and
the National Council for the Accreditation of Teacher Education.
Download Program Info
The numbers tell the story…
per credit hour
employed or in grad school
- Apple Distinguished School
- Emphasis on technology in the classroom
- Fully accredited
- Areas in mild/cross-categorical, autism, and early childhood special education
- Flexible schedules built with teachers in mind
- Courses reviewed by Quality Matters
We let our graduates do the talking...
"I am excited about the opportunity to make a difference in children’s lives through
education. The training I have received has been phenomenal."Christi Williams, '17, Elementary and Exceptional Child Education
Our Alumni Go Places.
Managing directors. Executive strategists. CEOs. Our graduates are leading change.
Here are just a few of the global companies where you'll find them.
Below are just a few examples of the companies who hire graduates from the College
of Education, Health and Human Studies at Southeast Missouri State.
- AB Spectrum
- Baltimore Ravens
- BJC HealthCare
- Bootheel Counseling Services
- Coastal Orthopedics
- Cardinal Glennon
- Community Counseling Center
- Jumpstart Autism Center
- Kedrion Biopharma
- Mayo Clinic
- Mercy Hospital
- Missouri Baptist Medical Center
- New Vision Counseling
- Saint Francis Healthcare System
- School Districts Across the Country
- SSM Health
- Thrive Autism Solutions
- Walt Disney World
The Master of Arts in exceptional child education is an online graduate degree offering
three emphasis areas: mild/moderate cross-categorical, autism, and early childhood
special education. At Southeast our program is nationally and state accredited. Our
graduates are highly sought after by school districts.
- The applicant must have a valid teaching certificate OR a qualifying score on the
state content exam appropriate for that certificate OR be in the 50th percentile verbal
and analytic components of the Graduate Record Examination (GRE)
- Undergraduate grade point average of 2.75 on a 4.0 scale.
- The program admission process must be completed within one calendar year.
View full requirements
- CE 614. Family/School Partnerships in Early Childhood.
Analysis of current programs and practices in establishing family/school partnerships
to support education decision making and child learning. (3).
- EL 615. Research In Action.
Introduction to the methods of action research for improving an aspect of the teaching-learning
- EX 601. Educational Assessment Techniques.
Develops skills in selection, administration, scoring, and interpretation of standardized
tests used in special education. (3).
View all courses
- Dr. Dixie McCollum is an accomplished educator with vast research experience including
using technology to meet the needs of students with disabilities and the effects of
a speech-to-text software application on written expression for students with various
View all faculty