Southeast Missouri State University’s Homecoming 2021 kicks-off Oct. 24-30 with a full week of events for alumni and students to celebrate this fall tradition.
This year’s theme, “Destination: SEMO,” focuses what makes Southeast special for alumni and current students, said George Gasser, director of Alumni Relations.
“This year’s Homecoming feels especially exciting and welcoming, since it has been two years since we have been able to fully celebrate,” said Gasser, who noted the 2019 parade was canceled due to rain and 2020 due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
“Homecoming is an opportunity to return to campus and experience the things that make Southeast special to each and every one of us. We are excited to bring back those heartfelt traditions, from being together with friends and old classmates, to wandering the halls and sidewalks of the Southeast campus. It will all feel remarkably important and special this year,” Gasser said.
A schedule of events and information is available on the Southeast Homecoming webpage.
Highlighting events for alumni include:
- Oct. 29: Copper Dome Society/Alumni Awards Dinner
- Oct. 30: Alumni Coffee, Cocoa and Cookies
- Oct. 30: Homecoming parade and tailgating
- Oct. 30: Football Game, Southeast vs. Eastern Illinois.
This year’s Alumni Merit Awards recipients are:
- Thomas M. Meyer, of Cape Girardeau, Mo., president and owner of Thomas. L. Meyer Realty Company, Inc.
- Janet Brunton Roupp and Patrick R. Ruopp, of Cape Girardeau, dentists at Ruopp Family Dentistry
- Scott Giles, of Dardenne Prairie, Mo., executive director and chief executive officer for the Higher Education Loan Authority of the State of Missouri (MOHELA)
Receiving the Faculty Merit Awards will be Dr. Steven Hoffman, Southeast professor of history, coordinator of the Historic Preservation and director of the Bollinger Center for Regional History.
This year’s Distinguished Service Award will be presented to the founders of the Honorable Young Men Club (HYMC), a nonprofit organization dedicated to creating a community to empower young men to reach their full potential:
- Aaron Adeoye, a 2015 Southeast graduate and professional football player with the Alliance of American Football
- Cantrell Andrews, a 2016 Southeast graduate and real estate investor
- Kweku A. Arkoful, a 2012 Southeast graduate and founder and chief executive officer of Be Chosen Academy, founder and chief executive officer of Sankofa Bags, and chief operations officer of Ark Electrics
- Wyky Jean, a 2014 Southeast graduate and licensed real estate agent and investor
Receiving the Distinguished Young Alumni Service Award will be Dr. Timothy Wencewicz of St. Louis, Missouri, a 2006 Southeast graduate and associate professor of chemistry at Washington University in St. Louis.
Southeast students have chosen the theme, “The Next Level,” celebrating students’ favorite video games.
Student events during the week include:
- Oct. 24: Trunk or Treat
- Oct. 25: Field Day and Spirit Rally
- Oct. 26: Talent Show
- Oct. 27: Southeast Man and Woman of the Year Finalists Banquet
See the full list of events about Homecoming 2021.