To enter the education program, you will need to meet requirements on courses and hours completed for admittance into the program.
Criteria for Admission to the Teacher Preparation Program
- 42 course hours completed
- One of the following:
- Composite/Superscore of 20 or higher on the ACT exam
- Passing scores on all sections of the Missouri General Education Assessment (MoGEA)*#
- Have a previous four-year degree from an accredited college/university.
- The following course requirements met:
- A grade of C or above in CF/PY120 The Child (Elementary, Early, and Exceptional) or PY222 Development of the Adolescent (Middle and Secondary)
- A grade of B or above in ED280 Introduction to Education as a Profession or ME222 Principles of Teaching Music (ME222 – starting in Fall 2015)
- International Students must also meet the following requirements:
- C1 (CEFR) level
- IELTS minimum score of 7.0 or TOEFL minimum score of 95
- *Note: This policy is for non-United States citizens who are not native English speakers. Students from the United Kingdom, Canada, Australia and New Zealand are exempt from English proficiency verification.
*As of January 1, 2019 – English/Lang. Arts 202, Writing 193, Math 200, Science/Social Studies 204.
#Students already admitted to the University should take the MoGEA instead of re-taking the ACT.
Apply to the Teacher Preparation Program
Please allow 5 to 7 business days to process applications.
All teacher candidates in the Teacher Preparation Program are required to have a license for the portfolio/assessment software Chalk & Wire. You can purchase a 2-year license from the bookstore during the semester in which you are enrolled in SE 350 or EL316. You won’t have to have it on the first day, but you will need it by the end of the first month of the semester.
Missouri General Education Assessment Notes
One University Plaza
Cape Girardeau, Missouri 63701