Thousands of students from around the world have selected Southeast for its academic excellence, welcoming spirit, safety, and extracurricular opportunities. Are you ready to join them?
At Southeast, you won’t just be learning in the classroom, you’ll be putting your knowledge into practice from your very first day. Whether it’s in a lab, on a stage, at our very own research farm, in your own classroom, at Catapult Creative House, in a gallery, across the nation, or around the world, we don’t just tell you about the profession you’re going into. We give you the experience to do it.
Every year we welcome Redhawks from 50 countries around the world. Join us in Cape Girardeau, and you’ll be a Redhawk, too. Southeast students get free admission to all athletic events, discounted tickets to performances at the River Campus, and plenty of opportunities to showcase their Redhawk pride.
Steps to Admission
You're considered an international student if you are not a U.S. citizen or dual citizen with the U.S., or if you are not a permanent resident of the U.S.
The online application is a quick and easy form that allows us to know a little more about you. There are a couple of notes you’ll want to make sure you remember when you fill out the applications:
- Make sure your first and last name match the first and last name on your passport.
- Southeast offers a number of programs you could enroll in, some with similar sounding names. Just double check the program you’re most interested in.
- Be sure to complete all the required sections. An application progress bar will appear to help you know how much more you have to complete.
To ensure efficiency and timely processing, please try to include all required documents in one email (per student) and provide the student last name, first name and date of birth in the subject line.
Email firstname.lastname@example.org (or reply to the confirmation email you received after you submitted your online application) with a scanned copy of the following items:
- Passport copy (Please include valid passport copies for all dependents listed on your application). Passport must be valid at least six months beyond the intended program start date.
- Academic transcripts (More Information)
- Affidavit of Financial Support and Proof of finances (More Information)
- Proof of English proficiency (or view other ways to demonstrate English Proficiency)
- Standardized test scores (ACT, SAT, etc.) for scholarship consideration (Optional)
- IEP students are not required to submit test scores. Web-only students are not required to submit proof of finances.
- If you are studying in the US, please submit the SEVIS Visa Status Verification Form. This form is a verification of your visa status and not a request to transfer your SEVIS record to us.
COVID-19 Admissions Process
In response to the COVID-19, we are making several accommodations to our international admissions process. Some of them are:
- Admission decisions can be made for first-time undergraduate and graduate applicants with unofficial transcripts and test scores.
- We are now accepting the results of in-person tests such as GRE, GMAT, IELTS, and Duolingo.
Southeast can admit most first-time undergraduate and graduate applicants based on the submission of unofficial copies of their transcripts and test scores.
Admitted students are not allowed to enroll in courses or claim scholarship benefits until all required official documents have been received and processed.
Our office address is:
Office of International Education and Services
Southeast Missouri State University
One University Plaza, MS 2000
Cape Girardeau, MO 63701
- February 1: IEP students starting in March
- April 1: IEP students starting in Summer
- July 1: Fall-August entry
- September: IEP students starting in October
- December 1: Spring-January entry
If you were admitted to Southeast before you received your final transcripts/certificate, you must mail to our office the official transcripts that you sent via email as well as your official final transcripts/certificates by the deadlines listed above.
One of the best things about Southeast is you can find the variety of program choices and resources that you’d find at a big university, but you get the personal support of a smaller university. So, whether you need advising, mentoring, tutoring or just somebody to listen, you’ll find a team of faculty, staff, and experts here to make sure you won’t have to do it alone.
“Friendly” and “safe” are words frequently used when describing Southeast Missouri State University. The Cape Girardeau area is home to nearly 80,000 people and has a rich history. Settled by the Spanish and Native Americans, today’s community is inhabited by people of all races and creeds. Our location near the geographic center of the United States makes travel in all directions convenient.
Intensive English Program (IEP)
English opens a world of opportunities. We can help you experience a new culture, get admission to a U.S. university, or take the next step at work. Our teachers have graduate degrees and years of experience, and we care about you and your individual goals.
You have questions. We have answers.
Your Personal Admissions Expert
We’re passionate about helping students find the perfect college in the U.S. Let our support staff provide you the confidence to exceed your potential. An international admissions counselor is ready to talk virtually and answer any questions. It’s the kind of one-on-one guidance and attention that smoothes the way to an easy college transition.