Redhawks ID Services

ATTENTION: ID Services Announces Summer Service Hours and Closure Dates

Starting Monday, May 14 through Friday, August 10, ID Services will be open from 8:00 am – 12:00 pm and 1:00 – 4:00 pm Monday – Friday. Service will be provided on an on-call basis with a number posted at the entrance to ID Services (located on the 2nd floor of the University Center inside the Center for Student Involvement – CSI) to call for assistance. We are also happy to arrange in advance to have staffing present in the CSI for specific dates and times. To schedule a large group or an individual appointment time, please contact Campus Life & Event Service at (573) 651-2280 or

In addition, to the summer hours of operation, ID Services will be closed on the following dates for system maintenance and in observation of University holidays:

  • Friday, May 18 : System Maintenance
  • Monday, May 28 : Memorial Day
  • Wednesday, July 4 : Independence Day

If you have questions, please contact Campus Life & Event Services, (573) 651-2280 or

Your Redhawks ID card serves as identification that you are a Southeast student, faculty, or staff member. In addition, the card serves as:

  • Your meal plan card for Chartwells Dining Services (for both meal plan students and students that elect to 'deposit' Redbucks onto their account – be sure to ask Chartwells for more details!)
  • Your access card for textbook rental and library privileges
  • A way to charge bookstore purchases to your Southeast student account
  • Your membership card to access to the Student Recreation Centers
  • A way to get free or discounted tickets to many Southeast Athletics, Show Me Center, and River Campus events
  • Your access to the Campus Health Clinic, Counseling & Disability Services, and Testing Services

For more information on what your Redhawks ID does and how to use it, contact campus Life & Event Services
Phone: (573) 651-2280

Redhawks IDs are the property of the University and are non-transferable. Students are responsible for the accuracy of the information on the Redhawks ID. Misuse of the Redhawks ID, falsification of information on the Redhawks ID, or failure to present your Redhawks Card upon request to any University official acting in his/her duties will result in confiscation and/or disciplinary action being taken against you.

Southeast Missouri State University recognizes that individuals may prefer to identify themselves by a First Name other than their Legal Name. Therefore, beginning in February 2017, ID Services will support the use of a Preferred Name that differs from a person’s legal name within the university community on their Redhawks ID cards and required identification badges.

Individuals who wish to use a Preferred Name on their university identification card or badge, must have previously either requested a Preferred Name at time of admission to the University, or have completed the Preferred First Name form by updating the personal information system (My Southeast portal). To access the Preferred Name form:

  1. Log into the portal,, using your SEKey and password.
  2. Select either the Student SS or Employee SS tab.
  3. Locate the Personal Information Section.
  4. Select, complete and submit the Update Preferred First Name form.
What is a Legal Name?

A Legal Name is the name that appears on an individual’s passport, driver’s license, birth certificate, or U.S. Social Security Card.

What is a Preferred Name?

A Preferred Name is a name an individual wishes to be known by in the University community that is different from an individual’s Legal Name. Southeast Missouri State University’s Preferred Name guidelines only cover Preferred First Name. Surnames (last names) can be changed only with a legal name change.

Are there any Preferred Name Restrictions?

Preferred Names may not be used for purposes of fraud or misrepresentation. The University reserves the right to remove a Preferred Name if it contains inappropriate or offensive language.

Do I have to get a new Redhawks ID Card if I choose to have a Preferred Name?

No. Use of a Preferred Name on a Redhawks ID Card is an option provided to any individual. Each individual will be asked to select between having a Legal Name or Preferred Name printed on their Redhawks ID Card at the time each card is produced; however, an individual is only allowed to have one Redhawks ID at any time.

Is my Preferred Name Redhawks ID Card acceptable for proof of legal identity?

No. Individuals who are issued ID cards with a Preferred Name that is different from the Legal Name should be aware that such cards are issued for University business only and that Redhawks ID cards may not be considered government issued identification for purposes of voting, air travel, etc. Individuals are encouraged to carry a government-issued form of ID (driver’s license, passport, military ID) in order to access non-University resources.

How do I obtain my Preferred Name on my Redhawks ID Card or Badge?

In order to receive a Redhawks ID Card or badge with your Preferred Name, follow these steps:

  • Verify that your Preferred Name appears in the personal information system (Portal). If you have not entered a preferred name in Banner via the Portal, please visit either the Student SS or Employee SS tab. Then under the Personal Information Section, please select Update Preferred First Name to check, change or add a preferred name to your University record.
  • Once that is completed, visit the ID Services desk, located in the Main Lobby of the 3rd floor of the University Center, to request a Redhawks ID with your Preferred Name.
  • If you want to double check that your Preferred Name appears in the ID system prior to coming in person to request your card, please call the main ID Services number is (573) 339-4636. The secondary number is (573) 651-2280 for summer and break periods. Names cannot be edited in anyway by the ID Services staff.
  • If you are already in possession of a Redhawks ID card bearing your Legal Name:
    • Cape Girardeau campus students: the Redhawks ID card with Legal Name should be returned to the Information & ID Services Desk, located in the main lobby of the 3rd Floor of the University Center, and immediately exchanged for a new Redhawks ID card bearing the Preferred Name.
    • Sikeston, Malden, Kennett, Dual-Credit and Cape College Center students: please visit the main administrative office on your campus or the supervising instructor/staff member of your course(s) and request a new card bearing your Preferred Name via submitting the appropriate form. Once the new ID has been generated and mailed to your location, staff with that location will notify you that the Preferred Name Redhawks or Cape College Center ID card is available for pick-up. The Redhawks or Cape College Center ID bearing your Legal Name should be returned to the main administrative office on your campus or the supervising instructor/staff member of your course(s) to be exchanged for the new ID card bearing the Preferred Name. Staff at that location will then destroy and dispose of your Legal Name card.
    • Online students: please submit a request for a new Redhawks ID card by visiting: and following instructions on that webpage. Be sure to provide all the requested information so that your request can be processed and a new card mailed to you.
How much does it cost to receive a card/badge bearing a Preferred Name?

All first time Redhawks or Cape College Center ID Cards are issued for FREE. Identification badges required as part of a program or as a condition of employment are billed at the rate established by ID Services and agreed to by the requiring department(s). Any card/badge requested after the first card/badge which is not necessitated by a Legal Name change or that does not require replacement due to the card/badge no longer functioning properly through normal wear and tear will be assessed a $15.00 replacement fee.

For the period of February-May 2017, replacement of Redhawks ID due to requesting a preferred name will be processed without a charge to the requestor.

ID Services Hours of Operation
Fall & Spring Semesters

Monday-Thursday: 8:00 a.m. – 6:00 p.m.
Friday: 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
Weekdays after 5:00 p.m. - 10:00 p.m.: use the phone at the ID Desk to call for assistance
Weekends from 10:00 a.m. – 8:00 p.m.: use the phone at the ID Desk to call for assistance
*The Weekend prior to Fall & Spring semesters, ID Services will be open the same hours as Textbook Rental.

Spring, Summer & Winter Breaks

Monday-Friday: 8:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.: use the phone at the ID Desk to call for assistance
Saturday-Sunday: Closed

For more information

If you have questions about changing a legal name in Missouri, more information may be found at:

If you have already legally changed your name and need to updated your official University record, please visit the Registrar’s page to complete the appropriate form and submit required documentation:

2/14/17 established


University Center Room 414

One University Plaza, MS1200
Cape Girardeau, Missouri 63701