The Rising Star Concert Competition is for pre-college aged string players. This competition consists of a preliminary application and finalists are invited to compete in live auditions.
Rising Star Competition
Do you think you have what it takes to compete in the Rising Star Concerto Competition? Check back soon for registration information.
One movement, not to exceed 15 minutes, of any standard concerto for string instrument and orchestra. Please see Additional Information for repertoire restrictions. Competition performance must be from memory and with pianist.
Recordings for preliminary applications must be a live, unedited performance of the concerto selection with accompanist. Preliminary Round Audition deadline: December 1, 2019. Application form and recorded performance must be submitted by that date (See Additional Information).
Final Round Live Competitions
The Final Round Live Competition will be held in the Shuck Recital Hall on the River Campus of Southeast Missouri State University on January 12, 2020 from 1 - 4 p.m. The first place winner will receive a cash prize of $1,000 and a performance with the Southeast Missouri Symphony on its March 10, 2020 subscription series concert in the Bedell Performance Hall, River Campus, Southeast Missouri State University, Cape Girardeau, MO. If the winner cannot perform on the concert date, he/she forfeits all awards. The second place winner will receive a $350 cash prize.
Repertoire: One movement (not to exceed 15 minutes) of any standard concerto for violin, viola, cello, or string bass and orchestra. Repertoire restrictions: Tchaikovsky, Violin Concerto in D Major and Bruch, Scottish Fantasy, are excluded this year from this competition due to programmatic considerations.
Application Materials (must be submitted by December 1, 2019)
- Online application form
- Nonrefundable fee of $40
- Recording of concerto movement
- The applicant must submit a recording of a live, unedited performance with piano accompaniment of the concerto movement
Recording can be submitted using one of the three following options:
- Email the recording as an mp3 file to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Mail a CD or DVD recording to: Dr. Sara Edgerton, Department of Music, MS7800, Southeast Missouri State University, One University Plaza, Cape Girardeau, MO 63701. The CD or DVD must be postmarked by December 1, 2019.
- Provide a Youtube link to your performance of the concerto movement.
Applicants will be notified of their status by December 15, 2019.
Accompanist: Entrants will provide their own accompanist. Teachers may accompany their own students. A list of area accompanists will be provided upon request.
Additional regulations for Finalists in the Concerto Competition (January 12, 2020)
- The performance must be from memory.
- Each finalist must provide the judges with one score.
- The competition will be open to the public.
- The decision of the judges is final; the judges reserve the right not to select a first place and/or second place winner.
- The winner must be available to perform with the orchestra on March 10, 2020, must be available to attend scheduled rehearsals (especially, dress rehearsals on the evenings of March 8 and 9). Failure to adhere to mutually agreed-upon rehearsal times will result in forfeiting the award and performance.
- The winner must perform the same concerto movement in the competition and the performance.
- The winner of the Rising Star Competition is ineligible to compete again in the competition; the second place winner is eligible to compete in future years.
For more information, please contact the director of the Rising Star Competition: Dr. Sara Edgerton, Department of Music, Southeast Missouri State University: (573) 651-2140; email@example.com.