See the latest updates and information regarding the COVID-19 pandemic at semo.edu/covid19.
On Campus Mail
- Mail Preparation
- Only University mail can be accepted as "campus mail" which generally originates from
campus departments to other university departments or students.
- All campus mail should be addressed with a department name and mail stop code that
is assign. Do not use office room numbers or phone number extension in place of mail stop codes. Without the mail stop code the mail may be not be deliverable.
- On campus departmental correspondence should be sent in special intra-campus envelopes.
Large 10" by 13" and small envelopes 4.5" by 9.5", which are available by contacting
University Receiving or by submitting a Consumable Supply Order Form.
- Addressing Campus Mail - All campus mail should include the following information:
- Name of Addressee (if applicable)
- Name of Department
- Mail Stop Code
- (Optional) Office numbers may be added in parenthesis after but not in place of the
- If you need a Departments Mail Stop, check our Mail Stop Directory
- Mail not addressed in compliance with this format will at least be delayed pending
a directory lookup or may be returned to the sender for proper addressing.
- Personal Mail
- Any personal mail or packages should be properly addressed and labeled with your University
Identification Number for billing. You will need to fill out any forms needed for
Certied, Insured and etc
Off Campus Mail
- Mail Preparation
- All University mail must bear a complete departmental return address that includes
a legible addressee address with the city, state, and zip code. Foreign mail must
have the name of the country spelled out in English as the last line of the address.
International mail must be separated from rest of the mail.
- To allow room for the postage to be applied, a 3" wide by 1 1/2" tall space should
be reserved with no tape or marks in this area. In the upper right hand corner attach
a note with tape as to what your requesting .
- When requesting special postal services so that your mail may be processed efficiently.
- Different types of mail, as indicated below, should be bundles separately. Each bundle
should have a separate, fully completed Mail Transfer Voucher for every different
account number. The types of mail that need to have a Mail Transfer Voucher are as
- International mail
- Certified mail (certification and return receipt forms must be filled out and properly
glued to the mail piece.)
- Insured mail
- Express mail
- Registered mail
- Restricted delivery
- Return Address
- Return Address Format The following is an example of the standard format that should
be used for all off campus mail be sent from the University.
- Department Name or Sender's Name - Acct. #
Southeast Missouri State University
One University Plaza - MS XXXX
Cape Girardeau, MO 63701
- Abbreviations Used in Addresses
- Abbreviations for states, territories, and the District of Columbia
- Abbreviations for some common street suffixes, directionals, and locators.