See the latest updates and information regarding the COVID-19 pandemic at semo.edu/covid19.
The B.A. in dance gives students a broad-based education and training in dance allowing
students a wide range of flexibility to explore any and all aspects of dance. The
degree combines a theoretical and analytical approach to understanding dance with
a practical approach through experiential learning. The degree program allows students
to combine their dance training with another discipline or area of study to prepare
for careers not specifically within the professional world of dance performance.
For example, students may combine the B.A. in dance with a minor in fine arts entrepreneurship
to prepare for careers in the administrative and management fields. Students might
also combine a B.A. in Dance with a double major in Exercise Science to prepare for
a career in Dance Conditioning or Physical Therapy. The B.A. in Dance also serves
to prepare students interested in continuing their studies to the M.A. and Ph.D. level.
Bachelor of Arts in Dance Students will demonstrate:
- A broad range of knowledge and skills in the area of dance within a liberal arts context;
- Familiarity with a wide variety of dance repertory and dance styles;
- A fluency in all practical applications of dance, including performance, choreography,
kinesiology and teaching;
- An ability to develop and defend critical evaluations;
- An understanding of the major historical and cultural aspects of dance; and
- An understanding of the many facets of dance production and other professionally oriented
What You'll Do
- Train with experienced faculty in the areas of ballet, pointe, jazz, modern and tap.
- Prepare for rewarding careers as a dance artist capable of qualitatively contributing
to the field of dance.
- Study and train in the beautiful River Campus, a multimillion dollar facility devoted
to the visual and performing arts.
- Benefit from an established program of collaboration with exceptional professional
guest dancers and choreographers.
- Establish relationships with professional dancers, choreographers, and dance companies
through master classes, residencies, internships, intensives, and dance festivals.
What You'll Study
- Ballet, Modern and Jazz Dance Techniques
- Dance Improvisation and Composition
- Dance History and Cultural Dance Forms
- Dance Kinesiology
- Dance Repertory and Production
View College Page
Request InfoApply NowView Degree Map
Previous Degree Maps
Internships & Career Opportunities
- Jacob's Pillow
- Hedwig Dances
- Royal Caribbean Cruises
- American Dance Festival
- Broadway Dance Center
- Chicago Dance Crash
- Big Muddy Dance Company
- Common Thread Dance Company
- Giordano Dance Chicago
- Burklyn Ballet Theatre
Costs at Southeast